Can I claim interest on a delayed wage settlement?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I work for a local authority who have still to pay an annual pay rise due to my union and employer failing to agree the actual percentage rise figure (appox %2.5). The pay award, will of course, eventually be agreed. When implemented, the date which the award will be backdated to will be June

1st 2007.

We recently had a mass meeting (with senior management and personnel)regarding, the implementation of our new equal pay policy and the annual pay award , at this meeting we (the plebs:) ) were asked if we had any questions..........

I asked if I would receive 8% on any wages that I had earned from June the 1st and which had been deferred until the annual pay award, was agreed and implemented. The reply was an elongated and vague no!! (he defended my googley and fended away my curve ball)..........I then asked if they agreed with me that there was a moral obligation to pay interest (as per above)........the reply was "I won't comment on the morals of this":lol:

It was the only question he failed to answer...........I left him in no doubt about why he failed to answer a simple moral question............So to my question, can I claim interest at 8% per annum (or any other percentage amount) from July 1st 2007 up to and when the annual pay award is implemented?

I live in Scotland and have no idea if I could raise a small claim (myself)or whether I could band workmates together for a class action........taking on your employer in court is obviously a drastic tact with serious implications (for promotion for example).

Any help views or guidance will be gratefully received.

William.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

Sorry I am sure the answer is no, your union, possibly with other unions have negotiated this award with employers, the unions then consult with members who may accept or reject an offer, so back they go its at times a long process.

This award will be backdated, who would you act against the employer for not agreeing earlier enough, or the union as it took too long to agree, its a part of the negotiation process, the award could have been given months ago if both parties agreed.

You could seek professional advice it will not cost a great deal, from this you will be able to make an informed choice.

Regards

Andy

Cheers Andy,

Interest must have accrued on the wages I should have been paid, so who is entitled to it, myself or another party?? Any ideas??

I would have assumed it was me..........I shall have a chat with my union lawyer. I have been told that I am entitled to one hours of "free" legal advise per annum:)

William