Help - British Gas working for new owner and charging me!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In August 2007 we moved house and I transferred the Homecare 300 central heating & plumbing cover to our new house. In January 2008 we decided we didn't want this cover and reduced it to just plumbing and drainage and was told there would be no further charges. I've just looked at my bank statements (march) and there are charges for the full homecare 300 charges. BG say that the new owner has obtained services under my name for our old property in January and also that even though they told me there would be no further charges its my responsibility to cancel the direct debit. What worries me the most is that the new owner has been obtaining services from BG under my name and also the fact that if he decided to have a new boiler installed etc under my name then who would foot the bill. Surely this is illegal? I advised BG that surely they should have better measures in place to protect the consumers identity. They said I should take it up with the new owner.

Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated

Whilst it would have been prudent to let the bank know it's not up to you to stop the DD that's BG's propagative.

In other words, & not for the 1st time, they are talking crap

If fact some banks will refuse claimng the drawer has to cancel - which like BG is another load of C***

THe direct debit guarantee says that you can cancel a direct debit at your bank at any time - it does not need to be cancelled through BG. It is not BGs job to cancel the mandate and they are so inefficient you can be sure they will not do so.

You have no responsibility to pay anything to BG for your old home. If BG has done work there since you left that is between BG and the the new owner / tenant who canniot possibly claim on your insurance.

If BG have taken any payments on your direct debit for this work or have taken further premiums they are in error. The direct debit quarantee says that your bank must reverse any direct debit payment that is in error - so get them to reverse it.

BG are so inefficient that it will take months for them to get this right. If they start any collection activity do not pay until you have taken further advice here.

I'm sorry but as many here have found the DD Guarantee is worthless.

Many banks will refuse to allow you to cancel a DD claiming that the instruction has to come from the company & even if they do follow your instruction they will often allow the company to reinstate the DD without your consent or even knowledge - until that is you find you have paid penalty charges cos there wasn't enough in your account to pay the DD - you thought had been cancelled:mad:

It is true that some banks will not honour the direct debit guarantee. This is not because the guarantee is worthless but because many operatives in customer services are porly trained, The guarantee comes from BACs and if you have difficulty the bank in question should be reported to them. BACs have the facility to withdraw the DD service from any bank that does not tow the line and this is a very powerful sanction.

If you do get this nonsense from a bank's customer service you should insist on speaking to a higher and higher person until you get to someone who knows.

I'm sorry pelham I have on numerous occasions asked banks to stop processing DD's with the result they have, more often than not, refused to comply. - I have even gone to the trouble of providing THEM with a copy of the DD guarantee - & still they refuse - so I don't think its a lack of training, how could it be not EVERYONE in bank can be unaware of the guarantee - No it's more the result of arrogance than a lack of training

• 2 weeks later...