Impounded vehicle

2.5 Chris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

My son said that he would pay for my Honda Prelude to be MOT'ed, and for any required work needed for MOT.

Apparently he knows a garage owner who does all this, and was claiming he would get "friends" prices.

I took the car to the garage about two weeks ago.

I have just received a letter to say the vehicle has been impounded., yesterday, 3rd March.

I have attempted to phone the provided numbers, but theres no answer.

As i am the registered keeper, im guessing i have full responsibility?

Although, as the charges are going to be pretty hefty i imagine, am i just out of pocket, if i decide to pay for vehicle charges?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi old_andrew2007,

The letter is from DVLA.

It states that "NCP Bristol Vehicle pound" has the vehicle.

Car was impounded under "The Vehicle excise Duty Regulations"

It was under a SORN, but was told that MOT work allowed for vehicle to be transported etc.

If the garage left it out on the public highway, then you are stuffed - they cannot drive the vehicle on the public road to anything other than an MoT test, which must be pre-booked. If, however, the vehicle was taken from garage property then it was an improper lift (has happened before) so you need to find out what the garage had done with the car, and try to shift the responsibility to them.

Hi buzby,

Thanks.

I have just got through to NCP enquiry line, and they said there would be no charge to release vehicle, providing i can prove the car was at garage for MOT. So theres hope yet.:)

Im not getting my hopes up too much, as i know how these things can turn.

I will post back to let you all know how this one ends........

Can they not drive it on a public road if they have trade plates?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Can they not drive it on a public road if they have trade plates?

Yes, they can drive it on trade plates, but it is an offence (police matter) to park a vehicle on the public highway whilst displaying trade plates. I should imagine in this instance the garage just parked it out on the road. Whenever taking an untaxed vehicle to be left at an MoT station you should always insist to the garage that they do not park it on the road.

Ahh - I see.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------