IVF in Wales- 2 Tier System?

tooth_fairy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little bit of advice really....

I live in Wales and the provision for IVF/ICSI is one fresh cycle and one frozen embryo transfer cycle.

Hubby and I had unsuccessful IVF in January 2008 and didn't have any embryos to freeze, so we were unable to utilise the frozen emrbyo transfer treatment that is available on the NHS.

I asked the clinic whether the funding was available, it is. I asked then if I undertook a private cycle, could I have the frozen embryo transfer on the NHS at a later date, NO.

I asked what happens to the funding, it apparently just sits there and rolls over to next year.

We have recently been back and our options have changed, we can go for a treatment now which will cost less than the frozen embryo transfer would (£400 new treatment, £800 frozen embryo transfer).

I have asked the Health Commission For Wales if I can utilise my frozen embryo transfer funding for one attempt at the new treatment but my request was at the end of January and I have not had a response.

The clinic pointed out to me that it is becoming a two tier system, if you get eggs to freeze, you get 2 attempts, if you don't you get one but the funding is the same for everyone.

If HCW say No, what should I do next, appeal or let it go. I spoke to other women at the clinic, 3 out of 4 of them are in the same boat and they hadn't even considered appealling.

I just don't think it is fair, some people get 2 attempts, some people get just 1, yet the money is there for everyone to do 2 attempts and then the money sits there.

I don't think I am being unreasonable for a provision to be put in place for couples who don't get the frozen trasfer, am I? Considering that the new treatment is half the cost of the frozen transfer?

Thanks

TF xx

All my knowledge has been gained from personal experience and the sharing of advice from fellow members.

I would appeal, if you dont ask you dont get. And maybe also ask your GP if they can help in any way. I havent dont an FET, never had any embryos to freeze, but was lucky for my 2nd cycle to work. Will you need to use drugs again for an FET? Maybe your GP can fund this for you if that will save some money.

Good luck and wish you every success

Clare

• 1 year later...

I also live in Wales and have found that there is a very simple loop hole to this system. If you have already had a fresh transfer (and even after a subsequent frozen transfer) you can still have another fresh cycle on the NHS by moving your doctors surgery across the boarder to England.