Help! Question about Nanna's gas leak

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5954 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

My Nanna has had a gas leak for God knows how long. The only reason she found out was because my Auntie came to visit and smelt it. She doesn't own the property. It is rented off the Trafford Housing Trust.

She rang Transco, who came out and told her the reading was high. They isolated the fire. The leak was behind the fire. The fire was fitted before my Nanna moved in.

My question is who is liable and will the gas bill be really high? Say in the 100's of pounds range? Transco said the reason she wouldn't have smelt it as she would have been used to the smell? I'm a little concerned as she doesn't have the heating on anymore. She is worried that she won't be able to pay the bill. She is only on a small state pension. But it's freezing in her house and I don't want anything to happen to her, from being cold.

Thanks

Anni

Also, I forgot to mention, that a Service engineer came out to look at it. My Nanna said they were from Esure? She also received a letter on 13th Feb from National Grid saying that the engineer has come out and put a do no use sticker on the fire. But they didn't. Also, reminding her that she needs to get it fixed or she could be breaking the law. I'm assuming that they think she magic money out of her a**?

Anni

Ive just spoken to my Nanna and the fire was fitted when the tenancy was in my Great Grandad's name (her Dad) and she moved in to look after him. She had to write (on behalf of my Grandad, as he is blind) to the Housing Trust for permission to put the fire in. Then when he moved into a home and subsequently died. The tenancy was put into my Nanna's name. Does this change it at all?

Anni

Hi annifridsl04 the gas escape you refer to will NOT cost you anything more than pennies.

Another reason why the gas may not have been picked up on is where the leak was, it may have been venting up the chimney/flue.

It is not a criminal offence when you havent had the appliance fixed but it is a criminal offence if you knowingly allow the fire to be used as the responsible person.

When tenancy changes the councils\housing would remove such an appliance and replace with standard issue appliances but as your Nanna was already there I couldnt confirm but would think they would leave it as.

Firstly, ALL gas appliances need to be regularly inspected, at least every two years. Since the fire wasn't supplied as standard equipment to the property, it is the tenants responsibility to ensure it is working correctly. It will be up to her to arrange a Corgi registered plumber to inspect the fire, identify the leak and make good. Once done, the fire (or its replacement) can then get back to the serious job of heating the room!.

If its a council owned house it is there resposebilty to do a gas safety check ever year even if they dont own the appliance

I know cuz when i rented a house and the gas guy came to do a gas safety check he even had to check the cooker and that was owned by me he told me dont make a diff who owns it has its gas it has to be checked because all PIPEWORK belongs to the landlord and that could be leaking to the cooker so i would get onto the council

another thing is gas companies have a trust set up to help people who cannot afford there bills so dont worry if its high they will help you out

its on this site somewhere about it

regards chris

here is the sticky Utilities Trust Fund take a look

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

Its actually at least once a year buzby and a landlords certificate should be provided for this.

I was talking in general - folk who own their own property are under no such obligation, but to prevent issues like these, regular inspection (at a minimum of two years apart) is recommended. Naturally, an annual or more frequent inspection by a competent person is to be preferred.

Can I ask when did your Auntie notice the leak, and when did the service engineer attend? Was the letter from Nat. Grid received on 13 Feb a result of the emergency call out? or was the leak noticed after this date?

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you all...thanks for your help!

She noticed it on the Sunday 17th Feb and my Nanna reported it on the Tuesday, they came out that day. The fire has been installed about 6 years.

Buzby..............minimum of two years? Are you aware in the uk that we average 50 deaths per year from CM Poisioning, most of these will be due to appliances which fail to be checked or serviced annually.

Actually safety checks need done AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR but dont trust me read below.

Ok Reg 36/52, duties of landlords are as follows.

(a) reg 36(3)(a) makes it clear that a safety check is required at intervals of not more than 12 months since the last check has been made (whether or not the check was made pursuant to the (new) Regulations or not), to ensure that the '12 month safety check clock' is kept running between the last check made under the 1994 regulations (as amended) and the first one made under GSIUR 98. Landlords should not be able to claim that any 'relevant appliance' in premises let to tenants after 31 October 1998, does not need to be subject to its next safety check until 12 months after the new lease commences, and;

(b) after 31 October 1998, whenever a lease is commenced, or terminated and renewed, whether with an existing or new tenant, reg 36(3)(b) requires landlords to ensure that a safety check has been carried out on any 'relevant appliance' within the 12 month period before any new lease commences, or within 12 months of any new appliance and associated flue having been installed in the premises to be leased, whichever is the later.

Or again, follow the link and see.

Get Your Appliances Safety Checked Every Year

Question

Which gas appliances within the rented accommodation should be checked?

Answer

The maintenance and safety check requirements generally apply to any gas fittings or flue installed in the "relevant premises" except: Any appliance owned by the tenant Flues/chimneys solely connected to an appliance owned by the tenant.

So if the fire was fitted before she took over the tenancy then really they should have fitted a new fire? Is that right?

Thanks for all your help.

Anni.

I may be wrong about this, but if I was in your situation, I would argue that the fire should have become the Housing Trust's responsibility when the new tenancy started, regardless of whether they replaced or left the fire installed, as you have no control as to what previous tenants installed.

Ensure all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting - quoted from HSE - Gas: Domestic Gas health and safety - The Law

I also found this on the Trafford Housing Trust webpage: In all cases, the full cost of the work will have to be paid by you and completion, the physical structure becomes the property of the Trust for all future repairs and maintenance. (Repairs and Improvements)

Therefore, I would hold the Housing Trust liable for reimbursing/paying cost of repairs or replacements, especially in the case of a vulnerable tenant like your Nanna, as they do have a duty of care.

I would send a nice letter to the trust explaining her vulnerability and the above points and see how they respond.

However, i would like to point out that these are my own arguments and how I go about it if I was in the same situation. like I said at the start of my post, I may be wrong. Hope this helps!

• Haha 1

I may be wrong about this, but if I was in your situation, I would argue that the fire should have become the Housing Trust's responsibility when the new tenancy started, regardless of whether they replaced or left the fire installed, as you have no control as to what previous tenants installed.

Ensure all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting - quoted from HSE - Gas: Domestic Gas health and safety - The Law

I also found this on the Trafford Housing Trust webpage: In all cases, the full cost of the work will have to be paid by you and completion, the physical structure becomes the property of the Trust for all future repairs and maintenance. (Repairs and Improvements)

Therefore, I would hold the Housing Trust liable for reimbursing/paying cost of repairs or replacements, especially in the case of a vulnerable tenant like your Nanna, as they do have a duty of care.

I would send a nice letter to the trust explaining her vulnerability and the above points and see how they respond.

I would agree with the above.

However, i would like to point out that these are my own arguments and how I go about it if I was in the same situation. like I said at the start of my post, I may be wrong. Hope this helps!

That is fantastic!! I'll do just that.

Thanks you so much guys!

Anni