Confused about Working Tax Credits and Jobseeker's Allowance

basmic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right finished work from an agency nearly a month ago now.

Now WTC have sent me a letter saying thanks for letting us know you work less than 16 hours/week, etc. It says a payment is due (four week run-on, from the date I finished work). But on the other side of the letter, it's telling me I should let the jobcentre know about this run-on.

Now will this affect my benefit? Will the jobcentre stop my payments for the period that the payment from WTC covers?

I'm beginning to regret WTC now - seems a right pain!

WTC will be taken as an income when calculating your JSA, until it's finished. It may mean that your income (with WTC) is greater then the minimum amount that government says you need to survive. When you start working again, you must inform Tax Credits people.

So, to put it simply; you getting WTC may mean that you will not get JSA. I say "may" because I don't know the amounts, the circumstances. But you have nothing to lose, because if JSA is not awarded, that means you are better off with WTC anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Weekly, I was only getting £46.22 WTC. I get about £59 JSA just now.

So I'm getting £140-something off WTC (that's minus the overpayment they made). Will JSA say they will not pay me for two weeks and three days? (£140 / £59 = 2.37 weeks worth of JSA).

I phoned WTC up, and they said JSA shouldn't be affected, because the WTC is something I'm entitled to. Hmm.

working tax credit is taken into consideration as income- fully, no disregards. I am sure of it. You are entitled to it, of course, it does not mean however that your JSA will not be affected. It will- until WTC's last payment week.

I'd rather not try to calculate your entitlement, which would mean working out your applicable amount- lots of personal information needed, then calculating your capital and income- again personal info , then deducting income from the applicable amount, minding to disregard relevant housing costs, and finally checking whether your income is greater than your applicable amount or not.

Once you are assessed, I suggest you call Community Legal Advice to discuss your circumstances in confidential setting

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Beginning to feel like I'm getting a raw deal - I might as well either tell the dole to have my £140-odd cheque, or tell WTC to stick their run-on payment because it's more hassle than it's worth!

Very miffed - phoned JSA up this morning, and they will be deducting my JSA payments to recover the £140 payment made to me by WTC.

So much for being better off, after going to work - so far, I'm no better off and finding that what's given to me in one hand, is taken out the other.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks