not displaying badge in private carpark.....HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone, came across this brill site and hoping someone can advise me as to what to do next,

i have received a parking charge for parking in a disabled bay which was a genuine mistake on my part, i was visiting my hometown with my son and mother in law who is registered blind and does have a blue badge, anyway we went into a retail park and was going into argos and my mother in law didnt want to bother getting out the car after we had parked up, so we left her in the back while we nipped in, came back a few mins later and a ticket was on drivers side window, so realised my mistake then and went to find the issuer, nowhere to be seen, there is a retail security hut in the middle and i went to him with the badge to explain and a uniformed man said its nothing to do with us and i needed to appeal to the company (namely uk p.a.o. ltd), i know in reality i was parked illegally but it was a genuine mistake after all, the ticket i received has the date 21st on it but he must have realised it was the 22nd and went over it with his pen but clearly on my carbon copy you can see it has been changed, so it could be either date , or isnt that relevant to the case.

i went back the following week to see how these people operate and sure enough two young ladies were collared, dont know their reasons but the issuer was quite sneaky that he isnt in uniform, dresses like a shopper carrying a plastic bag probably with his tickets in and he casually walks past , slaps the ticket on, walks away a bit takes a pic of rear of vehicle about ten yards away, then a pic of the front dashboard, then walked quickly away towards the hut in the middle, dont think he is a part of the security they probably just let him go in there, but 60 pounds for a mistake is a bit much. anyway any advice will be greatly appreciated, i have been given 10 days to pay and £3 a day thereafter

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone, came across this brill site and hoping someone can advise me as to what to do next,

i have received a parking charge for parking in a disabled bay which was a genuine mistake on my part, i was visiting my hometown with my son and mother in law who is registered blind and does have a blue badge, anyway we went into a retail park and was going into argos and my mother in law didnt want to bother getting out the car after we had parked up, so we left her in the back while we nipped in, came back a few mins later and a ticket was on drivers side window, so realised my mistake then and went to find the issuer, nowhere to be seen, there is a retail security hut in the middle and i went to him with the badge to explain and a uniformed man said its nothing to do with us and i needed to appeal to the company (namely uk p.a.o. ltd), i know in reality i was parked illegally but it was a genuine mistake after all, the ticket i received has the date 21st on it but he must have realised it was the 22nd and went over it with his pen but clearly on my carbon copy you can see it has been changed, so it could be either date , or isnt that relevant to the case.

i went back the following week to see how these people operate and sure enough two young ladies were collared, dont know their reasons but the issuer was quite sneaky that he isnt in uniform, dresses like a shopper carrying a plastic bag probably with his tickets in and he casually walks past , slaps the ticket on, walks away a bit takes a pic of rear of vehicle about ten yards away, then a pic of the front dashboard, then walked quickly away towards the hut in the middle, dont think he is a part of the security they probably just let him go in there, but 60 pounds for a mistake is a bit much. anyway any advice will be greatly appreciated, i have been given 10 days to pay and £3 a day thereafter

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Have a read of the the sticky at the top of this forum entitled Private Parking Company/Charges everything you need to know and the Template Letters. You can find them by clicking here for the guide and here for the letters. They'll spell out your rights and the realities of the situation and give some guidance on how to respond.

If you have any questions or need further help. Please post back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help needed.

You know how difficult it is to have a disabled person in your family and you are aware if the problems that can be created by selfish able body people who abuse the parking system.

You are totally aware that you were the abuser on this occasion and are seeking ways to avoid paying for what you describe as a mistake.

My sentiments would be very different if it was a normally bay and I would encourage your efforts.

I suggest you pay up and spread the word about how efficient this particular car park is in preventing people from using disabled bays.

You can read all the posts and write many letters but you know you are not correct on this occasion.

It is quite underhand how they go about so secretly.

I echo what pin1onu has said, read the stickies and act accordingly.

Should you feel like paying as you were "the abuser" as Illuminati suggests, might I suggest that you make a suitable charitable donation and tell the parking company to swivel!

There is no way these lieing shysters should get a penny of your money.

You can read all the posts and write many letters but you know you are not correct on this occasion.

How will paying this "fine" benefit any genuine disabled person? It will only line the pockets of the PPC. Anyway the OP is not "not correct" as the road markings in a private car park have no legal standing anyway. help needed, take the advice from pin1onu and do not pay.

IIIIUMINATI..........at your suggestion, im not aware im the abuser, if you read my post properly you would see i put i realised i had parked illegally, by not displaying the blue badge and secondly i immediatley went looking for the issuer with the badge in my hand to show it was a genuine mistake i made, as you also suggest that i am seeking ways of avoiding paying this charge, that is untrue aswell as i am merely asking peoples opinions on my situation regarding the unfairness of the penalty and whether it is legally binding as the date had also been changed,

Help Needed,

£3 a day - that sounds familiar - sounds like UK PAO to me - is it?

This crowd of [problematic] [hi steve:) ] attempts to add £3 to their unpaid invoices for "liquidated damages". This is a simply ludicrous legal concept in that liquidated damages are meant to be a genuine agreed pre estimate of loss not a penalty.

Do not engage with them, volunteer no information. They kept sending me invoices, their claimed amount got to £360 before it got through to them that I was not going to pay and they stopped writing.

I would send a letter stating that the bay was for disabled users only. Since your Mother in law is disabled you was not in breach of their terms and conditions, include proof. If they keep sending you demands ignore them, if it does go to court you will win as you have done nothing wrong.

well if their photo evidence is good, hopefully theyll be able to see my mother-in-law sat in the back and they made the mistake of changing the date from 21st to 22nd (changing the 1 to a 2) so that can only help my case

Their case is flawed from the outset, blue badges have no legal standing off the public highway.

The badge is asigned to the disabled person so time should be allowed to go get the person and their badge. The BB holder may have got there by taxi and is only getting collected by you so the badge would be with them not in the car. It is for this reason observation period of approx 5 mins is usually given to allow the driver to get the badge or the person.

Unless the sign says BB must be displayed, and instead says BB holders only they do not say you need to display it, the legal requirement to display is only for on street BB bays.

Like the sound of a charity donation.

You could probably get the local paper to do a news story which would be rather embarrassing for the retail park but would high lite the problems regarding disabled parking.

Helpneeded (evening news)

Refused to pay unlawful parking fine but agrees that by parking the vehicle in a disabled bay was an unfortunate mistake. Help has forwarded

£60 to XXXX charity but refuses to acknowledge the the unlawful request

for payment made by the agy which issues tickets in the retail park.

Help Needed

Yes, I did use the templates - very similar anyway - Bernie's templates were not on a "sticky" at the time.

1. I sent the "I'm the registered keeper - you must take this up with the driver" one.

2. Then, after further BS from them "your appeal has been rejected...yawn yawn.. I sent the put up or shut up letter - "Cease and desist from all further correspondance. If your consider you have a case then issue court proceedings within 14 days. Any other form of contact whatsoever, whether by you or your agents will be deemed to be harrassment and will be reported as such."

This did not stop UK PAO writing. The PPCs only actually do that when they realise that you won't be intimidated. The only reason for the templates is to cover yourself in case the PPC is daft enough to issue court proceedings. Once you've sent the cease & desist you should cheerfully ignore everything short of an actual court summons.

[Hiya Steve :) ]