BT phone line contract commitment if inprisoned

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have just taken out a new 12 month BT phone line contract but it looks as there is a possibility next week I could be serving time in Her Majesty's prison, will BT still pursue me for the remainder of the contract ?

Thanks,

Gareth

Hi, I have just taken out a new 12 month BT phone line contract but it looks as there is a possibility next week I could be serving time in Her Majesty's prison, will BT still pursue me for the remainder of the contract ?

Thanks,

Gareth

I think if you ring BT and inform them that you may be spending time inside they may cancel the contract for you since you have been honest with them.

I am not certain as to what BT's Exit fee's are.

I hope someone else can help you out better.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Guest louis wu
I am not certain as to what BT's Exit fee's are.

bt have no exit fee.

the cost of reinstalling your line, however, currently stands at £125, so you may be liable for that.

louis

• 2 weeks later...

May be too late, but strictly speaking you shouldn't have to pay. You will find buried in the contract a clause which will probably be headed "force majeure". If either party's ability to perform is affected by circumstances beyond their direct influence, they are not liable for the results. The idea is that BT are not responsible for the telephone pole falling over in a storm, etc. - and what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If the magistrates (or, $DEITY-forbid, the judge) has the option of whether or not to imprison you, you are not liable for their decision. Of course, if in sending you down they say "You leave me no choice ..." your case in this respect is rather weaker ...

Note that ending a contract as a result of force majeure is just that - ending. You'd need to arrange the return of anything BT have given you under the contract. I believe this can be achieved by inviting them to collect by appointment, but ICBW.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Not sure that the force majeure would apply - being imprisoned is not beyond an individuals control - it's a result of an act they have committed.

And why sign up to a 12 month contract if you are likely to go down next week?

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

• 4 months later...