SORN and continuous registration

marbelladave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

New member with a very real problem, bear with me it is quite complex!

I was out of the country from late 2003 to date. My car's tax ran until summer 2004 at which point I declared SORN and sent the form by regular post. I had no UK address, in fact no fixed address at all, at this time so was unable to give notice of change of address.

The car has been off the road for the whole of this time and I have been largely un-contactable in rural Spain, so obviously I have had no contact with the DVLA.

I plan to return to the UK in a month or so and would like to re-register my car, BUT having just found out about the change to continuous registration I have no idea of where I now stand.

I have a feeling that I shall be in real trouble with the DVLA should I try to re-register the car, despite the fact that the car has been off the road for the whole of the time.

Can anyone offer any practical advice?

Thanks.

If you can prove your whereabouts and dates since the change to continuous registration, I think you would have a good argument.

Of course the DVLA wont be interested at first so you will have to argue the toss with them.

Thanks Conniff

Hard to sea how I can 'prove' anything. I have been out of the country since late 2003, so there are no work, tax, or social payments in the UK since then.

I have been working on a house renovation, effectively for myself and without pay, so there is no employment records to prove where I was.

Other than the fact that the car cannot have been seen on the road in the uk from early 2004 to date it is hard to see how I can 'prove' it's whereabouts.

I f I was to simply own up to the situation does anyone have any ideas what the penalties would be?

Thanks.

One thing you could do first is to see what status the DVLA considers your car at. If you follow this link:

DVLA Online Vehicle Licensing | Home

down the left hand side you will see a box marked "Vehicle Enquiry" Click on this. You can then enter the reg no. of your vehicle and it will tell you if the car exists if it's taxed or if the SORN is due. If it says the SORN is due it will give you the date of liability. At least then you will know if there may be trouble waiting for you.

Thanks guys,

I have done the vehicle enquiry which has given me the following,

Date of Liability 01 01 2005

Date of First Registration 02 10 1991

Year of Manufacture Not Available

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1598CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Export

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour BLUE

Vehicle Type Approval null

The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £99.00

12 Months Rate £180.00

Can anyone help with what this means?

No mention of sorn, does this mean they did not recieve it?

My Tax ran to mid 2004, date of liability is 1 / 1 /2005, any idea why.

Any information about what I can do to sort this out would be greatly appreciated!