• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

OFT test case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is another area that needs to be explored to the full IMO. If we could get a list of all the services & best deals that do not require a DD, then we could get a great set of resources together to help people live without the need for a current account. That will kick the banker where it hurts most because regardless of what happens in this test case, there will be a lot less people to fleece anyway..

The problem s of course, that the DD system is slowly, but unremittingly, becoming the norm. IMO this system needs to be fought against to the bitter end before it is the only method of payment for essential household bills like utilities, rates etc.

I have been steadily fighting BT's charge of £4.50 for non DD payment of the quarterly bill since its inception. Every time they send me a bill they incude a charge of £4.50 plus a "late payment" charge of £7.50 covering the late payment of the unpaid £4.50. Each time I write to them (by recorded delivery) stating that I decline to pay the charge of £4.50 until they can demonstrate to me that this is lawful under contract law and that it represents their true costs of clearing a non DD payment - rather than being a penalty charge for not bowing to their diktat. I also argue that the "late payment" charge is voided by its very description... there is, de facto, no late payment involved as I absolutely refuse to pay the £4.50 on principal. More recently BT have stopped responding to my letters (I charge them £25.00 for each I have to write them) disputing their erroneous quarterly bill. It's a real pain to have to keep writing to them and I have now decided to write a pro-forma catchall letter to use n the future. So far as I am concerned I'm sticking to my guns for the foreseeable future. I expect at some point they will just pull the phone line and at that point I plan to progress the dispute to court.

Shoestring

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is petition about this Petition to: Abolish processing fees for non Direct Debit payments. for what its worth..

I believe that it is now illegal in Ireland to have only DD as a payment method..

Thanks for that Gez. Pretty bloody sad that there are only 30 signatories to the petition. I think there should be a more comprehensive awareness campaign to move this forward...

There is petition about this Petition to: Abolish processing fees for non Direct Debit payments. for what its worth..

I believe that it is now illegal in Ireland to have only DD as a payment method..

This is in relation to making bill payments - nothing to do with bank charges.

For instance, BT accept payments by DD but if you pay by another method they charge you a fee - it's these fees this petition is about, not the bank fee/charge.

Sadly, I don't think NR owning it will make any difference. They will have their eye on the bottom line - profit.

They won't see that by being 'better' or 'fairer' their profits will ultimately be up in any case. It will be investment bankers paying for it, and they will want returns fast. As always.

It's a nice romantic idea - but sadly, I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference. Fleecing the less well off is a lucrative business model. That's why they are all fighting it so hard.

Speaking from personal experience, the only motivating factor that senior bankers are attuned to is profit. There is no moral or ethical consideration other than, perhaps, getting caught for breaching self imposed "house rules" and, not infrequently, contravening the law of the land... In he latter case a junior head usually is severed in ritual fake apology to satisfy public demand, but the voracious beast continues drooling and feeding unaltered and unrepentant.

I actually don't think the mindset is simply to fleece the poor but a recognition that the poor or less well off constitute the majority and the majority are easy targets. They are also not members of the "club" are therefore are fair game.

Members of the cub are, naturally treated with a different set of rules.

There has always been an elite operating along these lines but today they are becoming more obvious because of the internet.

Shoestring

This is in relation to making bill payments - nothing to do with bank charges.

For instance, BT accept payments by DD but if you pay by another method they charge you a fee - it's these fees this petition is about, not the bank fee/charge.

Yes I know. Fortunately I understand English so I managed to work that out fairly quickly. :p

I was talking about trying to find services where DD is not required so that people can pay bills without the need of a current account, therefore avoiding completely the risk of bank charges of any kind.. :)

They are also not members of the "club" are therefore are fair game.

Haven't you just contradicted your own argument there SOS, ;) . If you're not poor , you're a member of the club........If large businesses were being charged pro rata every time they went into 'unathorised overdraft' - you'd soon hear them squealing. :)

That's why large business is not actively supportive of this ...they're all members of the club:mad:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

I think what you have said Shoestring is spot on.

The banking industry DOES need a white knight, but I don't think NR is going to be it.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

The problem s of course, that the DD system is slowly, but unremittingly, becoming the norm. IMO this system needs to be fought against to the bitter end before it is the only method of payment for essential household bills like utilities, rates etc.

I have been steadily fighting BT's charge of £4.50 for non DD payment of the quarterly bill since its inception. Every time they send me a bill they incude a charge of £4.50 plus a "late payment" charge of £7.50 covering the late payment of the unpaid £4.50. Each time I write to them (by recorded delivery) stating that I decline to pay the charge of £4.50 until they can demonstrate to me that this is lawful under contract law and that it represents their true costs of clearing a non DD payment - rather than being a penalty charge for not bowing to their diktat. I also argue that the "late payment" charge is voided by its very description... there is, de facto, no late payment involved as I absolutely refuse to pay the £4.50 on principal. More recently BT have stopped responding to my letters (I charge them £25.00 for each I have to write them) disputing their erroneous quarterly bill. It's a real pain to have to keep writing to them and I have now decided to write a pro-forma catchall letter to use n the future. So far as I am concerned I'm sticking to my guns for the foreseeable future. I expect at some point they will just pull the phone line and at that point I plan to progress the dispute to court.

Shoestring

hi shoestring you are doing excactly what i started doing in 1993 with nat west (trouble is they have nt made contact since then lol) stick by your guns mate

patrickq1

I would be questioning if there could be such a thing as an "unauthorised" overdraft & asking how the transaction could have been paid if it was not authorised. If the bank, or its computer had taken the decision to allow the payment, then they have authorised it. Simple argument.

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing today at work (on one of the rare ocasions I get time to think :D). As you say if it has been allowed then it must have been authourised.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Speaking from personal experience, the only motivating factor that senior bankers are attuned to is profit. There is no moral or ethical consideration other than, perhaps, getting caught for breaching self imposed "house rules" and, not infrequently, contravening the law of the land... In he latter case a junior head usually is severed in ritual fake apology to satisfy public demand, but the voracious beast continues drooling and feeding unaltered and unrepentant.

I actually don't think the mindset is simply to fleece the poor but a recognition that the poor or less well off constitute the majority and the majority are easy targets. They are also not members of the "club" are therefore are fair game.

There has always been an elite operating along these lines but today they are becoming more obvious because of the internet.

Shoestring

I agree,

and am under no illusion that the overriding motivation for a Bank is Profit, Profit, and more Profit.... either just to feed the voracious shareholders, or to attain a wealth and size that enables them to take over the less profitable in order to prevent themselves being taken over.

However, any Bank that realises that a lot of little but legitimate profits from a large number of satisfied customers, is more profitable and more stable than greater individual profits from a much smaller (and more volatile) customer base would be at an advantage.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Yes I know. Fortunately I understand English so I managed to work that out fairly quickly. :p

I was talking about trying to find services where DD is not required so that people can pay bills without the need of a current account, therefore avoiding completely the risk of bank charges of any kind.. :)

Yeah, sorry about that - I clicked the "read unread post" link, or whatever it's called, at the top of the thread and it jumped the 2 posts prior to this so I got confused.

It's easily done - getting me confused, not clicking the wrong button! (But I wonder which is easier!)

;)

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing today at work (on one of the rare ocasions I get time to think :D). As you say if it has been allowed then it must have been authourised.

They should use "unagreed".

But then, it is "agreed", (as they've paid it) so it can't be "unagreed"!

No wonder these QC's are clapping their hands...

Wrong. I'm not going to spend much more time answering this, but I will reiterate that I would not be arguing to the judge about who's fault it was, I would be questioning if there could be such a thing as an "unauthorised" overdraft & asking how the transaction could have been paid if it was not authorised. If the bank, or its computer had taken the decision to allow the payment, then they have authorised it. Simple argument.

Yes, yes, yes, you can question it as much as you like BUT at the end of the day it will come down to the fact that it was you spending money you dont have.

Your arguement really is this, you want a car manufacturer [banks] to stop you from running over pedestrians [drawing on money you dont have in your account] (even though the car is in perfect working order) when the reality is its not the car manufacturers [banks] behind the wheel [account holder].

What you are saying is that its the car manufacters fault you ran over a pedestrian even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with your car.

Of course you are I are both in agreement that this shouldnt happen anyway, and its also something the banks themselves could fix in a heart beat...but you and I both know there is no money in that for the banks!

Mailman

Your arguement really is this, you want a car manufacturer [banks] to stop you from running over pedestrians [drawing on money you dont have in your account] (even though the car is in perfect working order) when the reality is its not the car manufacturers [banks] behind the wheel [account holder].

Except when the banks make you go overdrawn by imposing unlawful, disproportionate and totally unfair charges which is very often the case:p

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Likewise, I am sure I am not alone in having had an account taken EVEN FURTHER into "unauthorised" borrowing by the charges, than if the original payment (which for the sake of clarity, is frequently NOT a conscious overspend) had been allowed.

AND, also had an "unauthorised" overdraft increased yet further, simply by their own actions

.... which is like saying:

"we're not happy about the size of your borrowing, so rather than stop it, or call for it's reduction..... we have instead decided to increase it.... but only then by just enough to cover the charges we are making upon you to let you know this"

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

It's like a Monty Python sketch ! :rolleyes:

i'm gonna step outa line but i think this is relevant lol

YouTube - Monty Python - Argument Clinic

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Why do banks charge a fee on 'insufficient funds' when they know there is not enough?

received this as 'joke of the day' in one of those emails along with

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?

mailmannz wrote:

it would only be a 30 second fix by the banks to ensure you cant do that (but then again, there is no money in this for the banks is there!).

Well there you go, you have just shot your own argument down.

Last year I made a claim on behalf of my son and won :p

He and I were discussing the court proceedings yesterday - when he chirped up that he went into the bank TSB every time he got a letter telling him of his charges (i believe it was almost weekely) and spoke to a man and pointed out that if he was able to use his debit card in Tesco when he had not got enough funds to pay for his goods (only by a few pence) and the payment went through then surely it was authorised by them and it could not be called an anauthorised overdraft.

Each time they agreed and refunded him ...regularly! this was over 1 year ago - he also kept asking why the card allowed him to overdraw when he did not have an overdraft facility and that he wanted that facility (if it existed) stopped .

They told him that they could not stop it from doing this.

One day however they sent the big guns out (he said it was a lady - and they can argue their way out of anything:rolleyes: ) She said they would not refund him this time...he said if you give me a card that does not let me overdraw can you remove the charge - she did and he was given a cash point only card - problem sorted!!

....untill the dreaded mobile phone contract by DD only was started - but thats another story ....and another claim :D

Point being a young student with no experience of handling money and only a very part time income is given the "freedom" to go out and spend - he never asked for the "service" of a debit card - it was given to him and he definately did not have the money to pay the charges as he earned less than the charge!!!

If I have been of any help to you please be kind enough to click on my scales! Thank you

:D Halifax Bank...December 2006 ..... WON! 1 week after N1 filed.

:eek: Lloyds TSB....... April 2007 Lloyds TSB.....WON, 1 day before prelim. court date, still went before judge.

:p Nationwide.........April 2007 Nationwide.......WON, 3 weeks after N1 filed.

:rolleyes: Nat West....June 2007 (on behalf of friend) Settled after LBA and before filing.

:smile:HSBC - full settlement ...on behalf of my son...

Last year I made a claim on behalf of my son and won :p

He and I were discussing the court proceedings yesterday - when he chirped up that he went into the bank TSB every time he got a letter telling him of his charges (i believe it was almost weekely) and spoke to a man and pointed out that if he was able to use his debit card in Tesco when he had not got enough funds to pay for his goods (only by a few pence) and the payment went through then surely it was authorised by them and it could not be called an anauthorised overdraft.

Each time they agreed and refunded him ...regularly! this was over 1 year ago - he also kept asking why the card allowed him to overdraw when he did not have an overdraft facility and that he wanted that facility (if it existed) stopped .

They told him that they could not stop it from doing this.

One day however they sent the big guns out (he said it was a lady - and they can argue their way out of anything:rolleyes: ) She said they would not refund him this time...he said if you give me a card that does not let me overdraw can you remove the charge - she did and he was given a cash point only card - problem sorted!!

....untill the dreaded mobile phone contract by DD only was started - but thats another story ....and another claim :D

Point being a young student with no experience of handling money and only a very part time income is given the "freedom" to go out and spend - he never asked for the "service" of a debit card - it was given to him and he definately did not have the money to pay the charges as he earned less than the charge!!!

I wish My mother would do that for me.

Hang on no i dont lol.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

my mam has bailed me out many a time when i was younger, and even when just got married and struggling. now not so bad but she does let me use her visa if i need anything urgently and got no money, ie. new washer etc. i always pay her back though, thats why she does it. we love mums!

any way, getting back to this test case, any news today?

HALIFAX: PRE 6 year claim 1991-2006 WON 21/3/07 £2616

CAPITAL 1 - WON 19/3/07 £800.22

CAPITAL 1 - WON 19/3/07 £325.75

AQUA - MCOL 2/3/07 £172.79

ABBEY - MCOL 2/3/07 £261.37

HALIFAX VISA - WON default removal 19/3/07

PARAGON - LBA 11/3/07

CABOT -SAR 26/2/07

ROCKWELL -OFFER 20/2/07

GMAC -MCOL 7/2/07 £189.85

WESTCOT - SAR 25/2/07

I wish My mother would do that for me.

Hang on no i dont lol.

Think that rather depends on your age!! Doesn't it??:D

I dont think I want to be doing everything for my kids forever!! LOL:p

The point I was making is serious though....the bank was prepared to accept the argument that it couldn't be unauthorised / as they had indeed authorised the transaction via his debit card in Tesco, last year......they could have just told him to go away! They did actually have a "service" that would have been completely free to use - but at opening of the account that was not "offered". Obviously that would not have made them any profit at all... so by giving youngsters the "freedom" to get into trouble and then make charges - and then charges on the charges that they obviously cannot pay - and then eventually offer them loans ....well there is a nice little earner - it seems rather calculated to me :rolleyes:

If I have been of any help to you please be kind enough to click on my scales! Thank you

:D Halifax Bank...December 2006 ..... WON! 1 week after N1 filed.

:eek: Lloyds TSB....... April 2007 Lloyds TSB.....WON, 1 day before prelim. court date, still went before judge.

:p Nationwide.........April 2007 Nationwide.......WON, 3 weeks after N1 filed.

:rolleyes: Nat West....June 2007 (on behalf of friend) Settled after LBA and before filing.

:smile:HSBC - full settlement ...on behalf of my son...

All Of 25 Darling still young and all the rest.

And the b****y banks are cutting into my social life so U rekon thats worth a few £100 of compensation don't you.

I agree whole Hartley with what ya saying.

Might try that argument.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks