Argos, faulty PSP, please help

smelltheflowers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a PSP from an Argos store in August last year. My son was playing with it, switched it off, then later tried to use it again. It will no longer load up games.

I returned it to Argos over the weekend. They said they would get it repaired but, this morning, they rang to say that Sony will not collect it from them and I would have to collect it and send it to Sony myself.

AM I right in thinking that this is Argos's problem not mine. If I am reading things correctly, since it is less than 6 months old, I believe that it is presumed that the PSP was faulty when Argos sold it to me and that they should therefore replace or refund the purchase price.

Just want to get things straight before I call in and demand a new one.

Thanks in advance,

D

Tell argos that THEY need to send it off for repair otherwise you are more then happy to accept a replacement should they have problems repairing it.

If they start complaining tell them that under the sales of goods act 1979 (as amended), faulty goods are the responsibility of the retailer and not the manufacturer. Under Section 48B they are required to repair or replace the item within a reasonable amount of time without causing a significant inconvenience free of charge.

That should sort the problem out, hopefully you have there private number to call them back on, the public number however is 0845 1657 xxx where the xxx are the store number.

• Haha 1

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

• 1 month later...

Hey just to let you know you wont get, a replacement after the 30 days before the 30 days will just give you a replacement. but after that amount of time we will issue you with sony's repair service number. although it sound harsh the amount of people returning psp to us with nothing wrong is amazing and we have to damage all them psps off meaning it is costing sony that why sony wants to know there is actually somthing legitly wrong with the item before they replace it. if you need the number ill get it from work tommorow.

Yallall ... Advise you have a read of the sales of goods act mate... You are liable to have the unit repaired and not fob the customer off by directing them to Sony....

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

That's why all Argos repair slips have a small print allowing Argos to charge the customer if there is nothing wrong with the product.

I would advise reading the consumer law skilpak on the TMS, you might also find it interesting to read the FAQs in the Intranet (search for legal), as well as some of the management only consumer law TMS training modules.

The advise I posted above is valid and within the Argos policies, being a past team leader ;)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Yallall,

Rather than being taken in by Argos' company retoric, try giving the correct consumer protection details, which mean its Argos' responsibility to make right the situation for a reasonable period which may or may not be limited to a year depending on the expectations of the item.

Seems often the bigger the retailer/provider the less service they provide and believe they are above the regulations.

That's why all Argos repair slips have a small print allowing Argos to charge the customer if there is nothing wrong with the product.

I would advise reading the consumer law skilpak on the TMS, you might also find it interesting to read the FAQs in the Intranet (search for legal), as well as some of the management only consumer law TMS training modules.

The advise I posted above is valid and within the Argos policies, being a past team leader ;)

That may be Argos Internal policy.. but does not mean that it is legal.

The Sales of Goods Act will over ride any of Argos Internal Policies, sorry but the Law is the Law..

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Please scroll up to see my advise before making judgement, Thank you

• 4 weeks later...