C.R.B. who pays???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4141 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have worked in care for the past 10 years and the C.R.B. check (which is a security check) has always been paid for by my employer-but now all of a sudden my employer has said that the staff have to pay for their own C.R.B. checks at a cost of £26!

Could anyone tell me if my employer has the right to do this and has there been a change in the law allowing him to do this??

Any help would be grateful-thanks

A standard CRB check costs £31 and an enhanced check costs £36. These are the charges made by the CRB, so I fail to see where your employer gets £26.

The legislation requires (and always has required) that the applicant is responsible for the cost. This webpage from the CRB makes that clear.

Teachers were, I believe, given a one-off pay raise to cover the costs of CRB checks.

Hi pat,

Thanks for that your reply was very helpful! Its my partner whos in care and i was posting on her behalf-she said that her employer paid for her other C.R.B. checks but is asking for £26 towards the full cost this time which i suppose reading what you told me isnt a bad offer as really my partner should be footing the whole bill?

regards-BIG AL

Poppy, our dance association ask that we renew our disclosures at least every 2 years or every time we move schools, i guess that it's a matter of what they ask for. I've only ever had one disclosure check with the girl guides i help out.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

CRB checks are waste of time and just another way for the govt. to screw money out of people! The employer is supposed to run the checks so they should pay. They are not valid for different employers which is pathetic! I once had 5 done in one year because even if you have one done a few weeks before commencing a new job you have to go thru the whole procedure again. They are also useless as they only highlight those that have been caught doing something it doesn't say anything about the person or their suitability to work with the young or old.

• 5 years later...

Hi bigal9ball,

apparently £26 is the full cost of a standard CRB check according to the government website.

https://www.gov.uk/crb-criminal-records-bureau-check/overview

It might be worth asking the employer to meet 50% of the cost?

I didn't have to pay for mine as I am a volunteer worker for a charity.

A standard CRB check costs £31 and an enhanced check costs £36. These are the charges made by the CRB, so I fail to see where your employer gets £26.

The legislation requires (and always has required) that the applicant is responsible for the cost. This webpage from the CRB makes that clear.

Teachers were, I believe, given a one-off pay raise to cover the costs of CRB checks.

except an individual is not the applicant it's the organisation in question , despite their copy of the disclosure being labelled 'applicant's copy' ...

if and when the transferable CRB /DBS comes around then getting individuals to pay for their original application may become more acceptable rather than each organisation someone works with needing to make their own application and periodic reapplications

CRB checks are waste of time and just another way for the govt. to screw money out of people! The employer is supposed to run the checks so they should pay. They are not valid for different employers which is pathetic! I once had 5 done in one year because even if you have one done a few weeks before commencing a new job you have to go thru the whole procedure again. They are also useless as they only highlight those that have been caught doing something it doesn't say anything about the person or their suitability to work with the young or old.

the CRB disclosure process as originally put in place is not transferrable as the subject copy may not contain all the information . as for 'only been caught' information again you are incorrect.