• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi my wife had a laptop from brighthouse and after reading about them on here i had a look at the hp agreement and it is as follows

laptop(load of cr*p)

price £632.41

terms 104 weeks @ £7.79

Total Credit Charge £177.75

Total payable £ 810.16

Now comes the best part

she pays Terms 104 @ £13.79

made up of payment £7.79

Optional service cover £4.20

Damage Liabillity £1.80

Making it £13.79

Now total amount payable is £1434.16

The total she has paid to this company to date (today) is £826.23

so i sent them a letter today after reading on here and we have cancelled the Optional service cover & Damage Liabillity

as the bloody thing has broken down twice in 12 months and they wont replace it just repair it

so shes been without it for 12 weeks in total while its being repaired

is there anything else we can do about it

Regards

PS at least they wont be screwing anymore money out of us with there cover plans

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

Hi Just a update brighthouse telephoned today

asking for my wife to come down and sign a new agreement before they will take cover off her account i stated that she does not drive and have asked them to post out a new agreement so that we can read it otherwise if she dont go in they will not take off the cover

HELP

No never defaulted i want the to cancel my option service cover

they say they cant untill i sign a new agreement is this legal

i sent it to there head office and one to the brighthouse store lady came on the phone stating that i would need to sign a new one or she wont remove it

i also wanted to have the damage liabillity cover removed they sated that they cant to this unless i prove that it is covered on my home insurance

any help many thanks

i think its a case of reporting them to oft ts everyone i can think of

as i dont want to sign another copy as they might stitch me up knowing that company

Just a quick update having read throught the agreement time and time again i have found no mention of having to show that the item will be covered on your home insurance

thats all is stated in the DLC and OSC is you must have them 7 days notice that you want to cancel also i says nothing about having to sign a new agreement to have them canceled

what is my legal postion

as i want to fight these to the bitter end

and set up so that other can follow suit

regards chris

Well this sounds familiar, lots of threads about this company on the general debt forum.

Dont sign a new credit agreement and speak to the OFT and your local Trading satndards about this they should be able to advise you on what to do.

l would aslo spend a few hours going threw the threads regarding brighthouse on the other forums.

Chrissi

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Oh and BTW it is up to the store manager if they replace or refund and item you are buying off them when you dont have there cover and it is covered under the household policy.

Normally the managers say it cant be replaced or refunded so you are stuck paying for a faulty item.

Chrissi

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Latest from brighthouse head office on Friday

The store manager has agreed that there is no problem with removing SC & DLC and i would need to sign a new agreement

with the amended terms (safe gaurd my early set and other part j) so i told her where in the agreement does it state that i have to sign a new one she told me it doesnt(that i knew) and that i would need show them that its covered on my home insurance it doesnt (that i knew) i told her to tell the store to post out the new agreement and i will show it to trading standards and if its ok and im safe gaurded i will sign it and post it back

she told me no problem

anyway i contacted consumer wales who spoke with trading standards and they told me that I DONT HAVE TO SIGN A NEW ONE AS PARTS A, B, C, D, SET OUT THE TERMS AND REPAYMENT AND THAT THE SC AND DLC ARE IN OTHER PARTS

anyway waiting for trading standards to contact me about it and they will take it up

had a phone call sat morning of store manager and he will BRING THE AGREEMENT TO MY HOUSE FOR ME TO SIGN (i told him put it in the post he told me noway i told him ok dont bother i will just wait till tarding standards contact me as i have a letter from your head office (sat post) saying you will lets wait and see his next move

Well done welshnutter. Stick to your guns and keepTrading Standards informed every step of the way.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

just a question welsh nutter will that letter say that SC and DLC removal will not need to sign a new agreement and that you dont need to proe Home insurance will cover it?

Hi the letter states that the SC & DLC will be removed

AFTER SPEAKING WITH COUNSUMER WALES THEY PHONE TRADING STANDARDS WHO TOLD CONSUMER WALES HAS IT DOES NOT STATE ANYWHERE IN THE AGREEMENT THAT YOU HAVE TO SHOW PROOF THAT THE ITEM IS COVERED ON YOUR HOME INSURANCE (THEN YOU DONT) ALSO AS THE HP AGREEMENT SHOWS THE ITEM COST, INTEREST, APR, AND TERMS IN A DIFF BOX TO THE SC & DLC THEN THERE IS NO NEED TO SIGN A NEW AGREEMENT I hope this clears anything up if you need any Q please feel free to contact me

Ok now i think all the shop manager needs to do is run and hid as you have in writing you dont need a new contract.

I would contact them about the manager saying what he did.

Go for it. These ppl should be classed as rouge traders.

Hello Welshnutter

Well done for not aggreeing to their proposals.

Once you have signed an amended aggreement you forfeit your CURRENT early settlement, repossession and termination rights.

You have probably passed the the repossession figure which means they would have to apply through the courts to take back your goods.

Did you ask for the extra warranty?

If the answer is no and you can prove that they did not tell you of this extra cover they can be held accountable for irresponsible lending.

HFC and HBOS have recently been fined for selling payment insurance on customer loans without checking the customer needs first. Channel 4 are also researching a programme on Brighthouse.

If you need anymore advice you can contact me directly at

(edit)

I would always advise that people do not receive advice by e-mail or PM - no matter how well intentioned that advice is. Advice on the open forum can be corrected if not completely correct.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Have u heard anything yet from the store mamager?

At the moment int heared a peep from brighthouse made a reduced payment yesterday without SC & DLC

But had a call yesterday from TS and emailed them a copy of all agreements lady called to say she will go through it and report back to me this afternoon

regards chris

gdgd maybe the idiot got the message.

Chrissi

Hi Just a update

trading standards have spoke to brighthouse and they sent her a copy of my agreement (she has a copy off me too) right here is the problem when they put my agreement together the put 2 pages the same in there so mine doesnt have section 8 in it

just spoken to TS Lady who said it is in theres i told her but its not in my and has its a legal doc surly it is a lawfull doc its brighthouse jis fault that they didnt put it together properly and another thing when they send the new agreements out they altered the settlement figures so it does not reflect what we have already paid also in the envelope was a copy of A INTERNAL EMAIL FROM THERE HEADOFFICE TO THE STORE LETS JUST SAY THEY DONT SPEAK HIGHLY OF ME IN IT!!

ok what would be my best move now as any company could change/add anything to a agreement and then say you must have lost a page so where does the law stand on this surley once you sign a agreement and the T&C surley you must abide by them the lady from TS i think is young as when i ask her something oh il speak to my boss and ring you back

so can somebody help what about the OFT??

Brighthouse could possibly argue that the present agreement you have does include OSC and DLC and, as it is integeral to the agreement totals, a "new" agreement needs to be made.

However, I think the term to be applied here is a REVISED agreement!

It is VITALLY important that your account is not re-set - thus causing you to lose all your consumer rights regarding early settlement and repossession etc. You MUST insist that any new agreement reflects all previous payments made on the original agreement.

Make sure the store has 2 copies of

1) Your original agreement

2) The "new" revised agreement

3 A copy of the statement below

Staple all three documents together and have both you and the store manager (NOT just a sales assistant) sign all pages at the same time.

Original agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

New Agreement number (you may have to fill this in pen)

Date

Updated agreement to reflect removal of OSC

IMPORTANT Payments made previously on this agreement (XX payments to date representing XX of the total amount payable) are to be reflected, and form part of, any revised agreement.

All rights rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement remain intact and continue uninterupted into any revised agreement.

Signed - YOU

(Print name)

Signed - Store Manager

(print name)

If the store manager refuses to acknowledge your "addition" to the new agreement, then YOU should refuse to sign any new agreement also.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Hi Lefty thats the problem when they put the agreement togehter the put in the wrong sheet of paper my contract doent contain anything about OSC & DLC

they are 2 seperate ones at the back T&C for SC & DLC and thats all it states is i must give 7 days notice to cancel they flopped up when they put the agreements together so my T&C in HP Agreement does not state i have to show home insurance and i would have to sign a new agreement

other point i had with SC it sates that if the item cannot be repaired in your home we will leave you a loan item i had my item taken away twice for repair(12 weeks) and no loan item

and they have sent me 2 new agreemnets to sign 1 contains 9 pages other 1 contains 2 stranger how they can then add there T&C in the 2 page one also they have reset the account now to outstanding balance 232.00 so i would need to pay so much again

just waiting for a phone call ask why they in had the agreement

thats why i need help i want to go straight for the throat and if i can beat them i will give the papers my story so others can do the same

• 2 weeks later...

Bump Bumpity Bump!

Greetings folks!

Hopefully, we will have successfully lured you back to this thread via a “new post” notification email! :wink:

We are trying to collect stories of people's experience with Brighthouse. Eventually we would like to make up a dossier.

We would like to know about how Brighthouse staff have treated you, particularly if you have got behind with payments.

We would also like to know if you have been pressurised to take out any insurance or optional service cover (OSC).

Furthermore we would like to know about problems you have had with goods from this company and how Brighthouse have handled repairs or replacements.

Here is the link to the thread to post your stories.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/brighthouse/131337-brighthouse-horror.html

Please don't add your story to this thread. Use the thread in the link above.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)