un-banded property Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you have to pay council tax on a property that is un-banded?

I have been living in the property since May and was informed upon registering to pay CT that the property was un-banded and payments would only commence when the valuation officer had banded the property. This has just happened and I have received a bill from the council for close to £700.

Can they do this?

They probably can. In truth they cannot send you a bill until they know how much to request. They should however, politely inform you that you are liable and that a bill will be issued later. Unfortunately it is up to you t guess which banding you are going to be in and set the correct amount aside.

Having said that, they may well be happy to let you pay in instalments rather than one lump sum. You MUST approach them though for agreement because councils are very quick with court action.

thanks for your reply. I thought they probably could do this to be honest, but always worth asking. bloody councils, i've never had a simple run with council tax - always a mess up at their end leaving me in dire financial straits as usual.