Toyota servicing could have killed me. Can I get a refund?

User6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got my Toyota car serviced at a main dealer (Lookers Rayleigh), and this included an MOT and brake fluid change. The brakes were OK driving to the garage and for the MOT. When I was driving back from the garage I noticed they were a bit spongy, and then about 10 miles later the brake warning light came on.

I noticed leaking brake fluid on the driveway and tried to take the wheel off with the supplied wrench, but despite standing on the end, the nuts wouldn't budge.

I then didn't drive for a couple of days but decided to phone the RAC. There was no brake fluid in the reservoir, and the bleed value of one of the brake pipes was loose. The patrol man said the car was dangerous and I could have been killed or killed someone else. He couldn't understand how the vehicle was released in its condition. He did say the car was safe to drive after the repair.

Clearly I have paid for work which was not carried out. I also need to take the car to another garage to fix the wheel nut problem. How do I stand getting a full refund for the service? The Toyota garage is clearly not competent, and must have broken health and safety.

Hi User

You will need to write to the manager of the dealership and explain what happend and not forgetting to mention that they put the life of you and your family in danger.

Tell them how serious this incident was and that it was due entirely to a failure by Lookers.

See what their response is to this before demanding anything. They may offer you in excess of what you are asking.

Come back when you have done that and we will go onto the next stage should there be a need for any.

Did you get the RAC report on paper?

Also, the wheel nut spanner is a designed length to allow the tightening of the wheel nut with not excessive force to be close to the designed torque of that nut and you should be able to remove it with that spanner if the correct torque was applied by the garage, so you shouldnt have to jump up and down on it. Mention this as well.

I got my Toyota car serviced at a main dealer (Lookers Rayleigh), and this included an MOT and brake fluid change. The brakes were OK driving to the garage and for the MOT. When I was driving back from the garage I noticed they were a bit spongy, and then about 10 miles later the brake warning light came on.

I noticed leaking brake fluid on the driveway and tried to take the wheel off with the supplied wrench, but despite standing on the end, the nuts wouldn't budge.

I then didn't drive for a couple of days but decided to phone the RAC. There was no brake fluid in the reservoir, and the bleed value of one of the brake pipes was loose. The patrol man said the car was dangerous and I could have been killed or killed someone else. He couldn't understand how the vehicle was released in its condition. He did say the car was safe to drive after the repair.

Clearly I have paid for work which was not carried out. I also need to take the car to another garage to fix the wheel nut problem. How do I stand getting a full refund for the service? The Toyota garage is clearly not competent, and must have broken health and safety.

this is disgraceful.

i would contact VOSA direct tomorrow on the phone.

Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) contacts : Directgov - Directories

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I agree that others need to be informed and further action taken, I also think that more than just a refund is in order, but it is best to start gently with a letter to the boss first to guage their reaction, and see if they are going to take it seriously or shrug it off.

Has the system been refilled and bled yet User or is it still on your driveway?

Hi User6

First post but I've been meaning to post for ages so here goes.

Why do you think you are entitled to a full refund? Clearly they messed up the brake repair but presumably the Service & MOT etc. were OK. Why should they refund this element?

You noticed leakiing Brake Fluid on your drive but couldn't get the wheel off, then you left it two day's, which is a bit odd............

Did the RAC man report his findings in writing?

You have not paid for work that was not carried out. they did the work, not very well granted, but they did do it.

They may have put your life at risk! But who mentioned your family.

Take it back to Lookers to fix what you believe is a problem with the wheel nuts, they will look at it for free I expect, but you have to give them a chance to put right what is, after all, only a mistake.

Which bit of Health and Safety have they broken?

Why would VOSA be interested, might as well call the Daily Mirror as well.

Let's face it, one of their mechanics had a memory lapse and didn't tighten the bleed nipple. I'm sure you have had small memory lapses, this dosn't make him, her, or the whole garage incompetent.

You have exagerated what is a miskake. You haven't allowed them to apologise or rectify this, you are going for the jugular egged on by the "someones alway's at fault culture" and "I'm gonna make some money out of this".

Have you never made a mistake?

Let Lookers put it right, for free, and move on.

Hammy

46 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

HMCTS Approved Technical Expert and Independent Motor Trade Consultant

This is not a case of 'mistake', it is far more serious, it is 'gross negligence' and something that could have ended in corporate manslaughter.

If it was just the wheel nuts overtightened then yes take it back for rectification, but it is not, and the vehicle will have to have a suspended tow back to the garage.

This is clearly 'someone at fault' and not part of any culture.

Which bit of Health and Safety have they broken?

several, esp under the duty of care aspect.

Why would VOSA be interested, might as well call the Daily Mirror as well.

because they certificate MOT test centres. Obviously there is a serious mal-practice in the way this garage operates. Not only did a 'machanic' fail to tighten a bleed nipple. but the person who then carried out the MOt failed to notice it. and as under the rules of an MOT, this cannot be the same person...i say no more.

dunno what garage you work for, but you need to do some reading.

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Morning :)

'gross negligence', 'corporate manslaughter'. For God's sake !

Why a suspended tow? The RAC guy said it was safe after he tightened up the bleed nipple. Why not a flat-back, why not a solid bar, why not drive the thing?

Obviously a sensationalist approach :wink:

Maybe I should have called the operative a Technician, that way we could not mis-spell, Mechanic.

dx100uk, what leads you to believe I work in a garage?

Hammy

46 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

HMCTS Approved Technical Expert and Independent Motor Trade Consultant

Morning :)

'gross negligence', 'corporate manslaughter'. For God's sake !

Why a suspended tow? The RAC guy said it was safe after he tightened up the bleed nipple. Why not a flat-back, why not a solid bar, why not drive the thing?

Obviously a sensationalist approach :wink:

Maybe I should have called the operative a Technician, that way we could not mis-spell, Mechanic.

dx100uk, what leads you to believe I work in a garage?

Hammy

So if someone is killed by what you refer to as a 'mistake' what would you call it?

If you have come here just to stir things up then I suggest you go elsewhere for your fun.

Hi, I agree that forgetting to tighten the bleed nipple is a serious matter and should have been brought to the garage's attention immediately, and rectified. You perhaps should have telephoned them and asked them to collect the vehicle at their expense. I think if they heard the nature of the problem they would have bent over backwards to help.

However, I think the patrolman was being a bit over dramatic. Most, if not all, cars these days have a split braking system with two compartments in the master cylinder, each one supplying two wheels. So should any leak occur in one system technically you should still have braking to the other two wheels. I know this isn't an ideal situation and braking efficiency is seriously reduced and the pedal goes right down, but you should still be able to stop the car.

Another Toyota service incident! Contact the Toyota HQ and advise them of the poor quality service. You will probably get a betetr response from them that any one else. I am doing that anyway with my issue as something else has come to light.

fair point from don't trust the banks- the dealer where i work usually m.o.t. a vehicle before carrying out the service as it gives the owner of the vehicle an idea where they stand should the vehicle fail the test- ie ten year old car fails test and needs £1500.00 of work doing- does the owner take it elsewhere, scrap or repair it by other means? it's the owners choice- but if you do the £300 etc service first and he wants to scrap it as the repairs cost too much anyway, he is not going to be willing to pay for the service carried out.

erm...........has anyone contacted the garage to get their point of view?

what did they say?

just a thought but if it was my car then the garage would have been told asap.