Claiming money back after paying a DVLA fine

MikeBigg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Earlier this year I received a fine from the DVLA for not taxing or SORNing a car which I had sold to a trader.

After some arguing and getting my MP involved I ended up paying the fine £40.

In this thread post #16, Danny Kiernan suggests taking the DVLA before paying the fine.

My question is ... would a similar approach be successful after the fine has been paid?

Thanks,

Mike

After they rejected my first letter of explanation, I sent them a second (within the original £40 timeframe) advising that I not only rejected their claim, but unless I received confirmation of cancellation bu their due date, which by this time was 2 weeks away, I would make the £40 payment under duress, and at the same time issue court proceedings for its return with expenses*.

On the day before the deadline, I called the Poole office as I hadn;r heard from them. I was advised that the clock 'stopped' when they received my second letter of appeal as it was taking them two weeks to answer all queries. However, I was told to call back the following day which was the expiry of the two weeks for their response. On calling back, was told a letter had been sent but according to their screen there was to be 'no further action'.

Whether this was because I threatened formal action or not, I cannot say. However, a slight modification to the tactic, insofar as you send a LBA advising you complied fully with the SORN terms, and only paid under duress. You now seek to recover this amount, and unless received within 28 days, you will commence formal recovery.

Remember to write to the Poole Continuous Registration department directly and not Swansea.

*This would mean my expenditure in total would be under £100, the £40 plus the £50 court fees

I haven't written yet - this time of year gets so busy for me :(

You might be right about the liability. When I was talking to some DVLA person I asked if I could pay without admitting liability and the said no.

However, I no longer believe anything they say.

Where can one find out about such things?

Mike