Advice please DCA knocked at door

barnicle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6051 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone give me advice please

A DCA knocked at the door this evening on behalf of American express, my partner answered the door, and the man said is *********in please, my partner promptly said no.

My partner asked what was the purpose of his visit, and he asked my partner who he was to me and just reply her partner without giving his name.

The man then said that he was here on behalf of American express and their acting solicitors.

I thought these people were not supposed to give information to a third party. Also when he came over the other night he left a card with just his name and number and no details of his company etc.

I have not heard from american express since entering into and IVa in 2005 and the IVa failed in 2007. I have had no correspondance whatsoever with anyone or their representatives.

I have looked at the office of fair trading and feel they have breached a number of examples of unfair business practices. What does anyone else think??

All help greatly appreciated as i have this man wants me to phone him on a mobile number

Since the IVA failed noone has contacted me this is the first since FEB 2007 when the IVA failed.

I am considering bankruptcy as i have nothing valuable in my name, but would like to avoid it if possible

What has your IP said the consequences of failure will be?

How much is the debt?

Have you any reasonable prospect of paying it back?

Have you claimed all charges?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

The card was a credit card combined with british airways

the total debt was around £8000

Cannot pay it back as i have been very unwell with a life threating condition so not in a position to pay back

Ip said because of illness

I have not claimed any charges, as i didnt want to acknowledge debt at this stage

Now im the first to admit im not up-to-speed on IVA's but i thought they were normally suitable for people with debts over 15,000

i think gizmo has a valid point in the Charges. it would certainly be worthwhile looking at reclaiming the charges that they have levied on the account

also, just a thought, but is it worth looking at if the agreement is actually enforcable at all?

Regards

paul

Now im the first to admit im not up-to-speed on IVA's but i thought they were normally suitable for people with debts over 15,000

There are only a small percentage of debts where an IVA is suitable. IMHO, this is not one of them.

i think gizmo has a valid point in the Charges. it would certainly be worthwhile looking at reclaiming the charges that they have levied on the account

also, just a thought, but is it worth looking at if the agreement is actually enforcable at all?

Regards

paul

I wouldn't advise BR yet! if you can get the debt below £5,000, you can go for an administration order with composting order. It is possible none of the agreements will be enforceable, as paul said.

Sending off the credit agreement request and sars would be a good first step.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Thanks paul for your reply

I presume you are talking about the CCA agreement? or the IVA agreement? Why do you think it could not be enforcable?

For the IVA it was over 15000 just the amex was £8000

Ah... misread your post...

even if an credit agreement was included in the IVA, you could still dispute it via the CCA 1974, if the agreement didn't contain the prescribed terms etc.

Was the IVA accepted, or by "fail" do you mean you broke the terms of the IVA?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Hi

It is always possible that the agreement will not be in the prescribed format or signed by both parties or contain the wrong figures, to be honest there are many reasons why an agreement can be unenforcable

you would be surprised how many agreements we see are totally unenforcable

it would be worth looking into to see if this is the case with your agreement

Regards

paul