Me vs Landlord's Overdue Fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's only a wee snake, doesn't do anyone harm and it stopped us getting mice when next door had male students who didn't know how to clean in. It's quite old now (was mine before I went to uni) and it's only 75cm long, is kept in a secure glass tank when no one is in and we've even got it trained somewhat (I'm a student, nothing better to do with my time), he's not venomous.

We contacted the council when he was being sticky over the hearing dog but it never occured to us that it was an unfair contract term. Fortunately no longer live there but still have the snake in the new home, with the cats who think he's odd and keep their distance.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I want a gheko but the next pet is going to be a huge spider!

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

My tenancy says no pets, but I considered it an unfair term and I now have a hamster and a 'rescue' canary in the flat. They're 'cage-bound' animals (i.e., they stay in their cages at all times), so there's no chance of damage to the place. Our LL is great (3 good years so far, touch wood) and when he saw them he was more "Aw, aren't they cute," than "Get those vermin out of my property"...which confirmed my belief that our AST was not individually drawn up in conjunction with the agents, but a standard photocopy that the agency charges us £80 odd to 'renew' (read: xerox) each year... :rolleyes:

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Hmmm. I think that there is something of a confusion here. The unfair term is a blanket ban on pets - that has definitely been decided by the OFT. However, you can ban pets for good reason - ie dogs and cats as they may cause damage to the property. The reason a blanket ban is an unfair term is basically due to it preventing pets in "containers" which would not cause any issue - ie goldfish, hamsters etc.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I would just like to say:

1.The Unfair Terms Law 1999 does apply to rental agreements.

I've not yet come across a case in which the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 have been held to apply to a shorthold tenancy.

In fact I've gone so far as to say that I cannot forsee the regulations ever being held to apply to such a tenancy: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/landlords-tenants/116924-me-landlords-overdue-fees-3.html#post1184565

Is there a court decision I've overlooked?

Well Ed, another case of "wheres the dispute"? In what way would UTCCR NOT be applicable, when a shorthold tenancy IS a consumer contract?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!