Anybody know about life after a thyroidectomy ?

PriorityOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Poor little mite. I didn't know it could be a problem for children too.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Caro, Tom had thyroid cancer, youngest child on record unfortunatley. not many cases in the uk, a few un the us though. Luckily we got through it.

xx

Oh bless him. That must have been awful for you all. I'm so glad he's recovered

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

He is such brave little chap.... what an ordeal to go through ! Joint pains can be related to thyroid illness though.... I read a long time ago about pains down the tibia bones (lower legs) and about aching joints and muscles in general. Not sure why that is, but it happens. Also PI Guy posted about having muscular problems connected to thyroid and I had them as well when my thyroid was made under-active before the surgery. I can remember crouching down for things and then having to hold onto something to come back up again slowly.... and I'm not that old.... lol.

It's comforting to know that the tiredness is connected to thyroid in some ways because now that I do know it's part and parcel of it, I don't feel so guilty about feeling too washed out to go places when I'm asked to.

It might be worth having a word at your son's school about this... just in case they think he's trying to get out of PE or something. I'm so glad to hear that he's on the right treatment and things are good now.... bless him !

:)

Thanks, school's okay at the moment, i think sometimes tom copes better than me though!! The docs make me feel like i am neurotic at times, its so much harder with him than my other children, his behaviour is erratic especially if his meds change...its like having a hormonal teenager in the house sometimes and bless him he doesnt really understand....he was so hyped up the other day he ended up hitting me, then other times he is so sluggish i have to carry him about. the main thing is getting the meds right with any thyroid related issue....with tom being little this is where we are struggling.

xx

Have you thought about claiming Disability Living Allowance for him ? I made a successful claim for my daughter when she suffered with chronic asthma as a young child.... on the basis that her care needs exceeded those of a "normal" child of the same age.

Hi, Sorry i didnt see the message before!! I do get lower rate DLA for him, although it has been hard to get it, 1st time we applied we had to appeal and go to a tribunal...then we got it for 2yr, we just had to reapply and again they knocked him back...i appealed again and we have now got it till he is 10 so thats better.

Jenny xx

• 1 year later...

Get a second opinion on your thyroid levels...took doctors over 5 years to diagnose me, whereupon I got a random phonecall from GP surgery telling me to come in for a "repeat prescription", when I asked "repeat prescription for what - I'm not on anything?!" they finally admitted they;d sscrewed up and my thyroid levels were half of the minimum they should have been.

Anyhow, have spent the past year trying to get meds at a decent level...one doctor told me that I was "within normal range" despite the fact I was still totally exhausted, so saw another doctor who said I was in the normal range, but barely, so they've upped my dose and it seems to be helping...just need another blood test in the next week or two to confirm.

Get a GP to explain what the parameters for "normal" thyroid levels are and what your levels are exactly and then you'll be in a better position to judge whether a higher dosage would be appropriate.

Hi Priority One,

There's a wonderful self-help group called the 'Thyroid Patient Advocacy-Building UK Awareness'. I can't seem to get their website address to print on this quick reply but if you put the above details in your search engine, it will come up.

You can join the group and post your questions and you will find contacts and information that will definitely help you. Good Luck!

Bella

BELLA 47

• 10 months later...

Thyroid conditions are truly awful. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease when I was 15. Had a god awful memory since then and still feel tired all the time. I am euthyroid at the moment so feel as though I am just in limbo! Have pretibial myxedema which took about six years to diagnose! People just wouldn't believe what yout thyroid does to you!

Thyroid conditions are truly awful. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease when I was 15. Had a god awful memory since then and still feel tired all the time. I am euthyroid at the moment so feel as though I am just in limbo! Have pretibial myxedema which took about six years to diagnose! People just wouldn't believe what yout thyroid does to you!

Hi Karrie.... you're right, it is awful. I still get run down very easily although my job is stressful anyway. At the moment, I have very little energy and my skin isn't great right now. The joys of being a thyroidy eh?:rolleyes: