HSBC Goldcard Cardholder Repayment Protection - PPI

stroke a badger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm currently claiming back just under £1k in PPI premiums paid during 2001-2007, and before I go any further I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Timeline

12/03/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Issued

28/04/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Non Compliance Issued

09/05/07 Statements Received

06/07/07 Preliminary letter issued requesting full repayment

14/07/07 Standard apology letter received

24/07/07 Letter before action issued

06/08/07 Full and final response received

Some points of interest included In the most recent letter received from HSBC.

"Our records show that in May 1997 you approached HSBC to apply for a Visa Credit Card. These cards were protected by the optional Cardholder Repayment Protector, which is designed to repay 10% of the outstanding credit card balance for a maximum of twelve months in the event of sickness, accident or redundancy. Life cover is also included in this plan. I can confirm that this plan was suitable for a customer with your requirements"

How can a product be deemed to be suitable when there was no attempt to establish what my requirements were!

Also, would you voluntarily take out a policy that only paid 10% of the outstanding balance.

"At the time you purchased the Cardholder Repayment Protector, it was HSBC's process to provide you with a Policy Document, which explained how the policy worked. You then had a cancellation period, which gave you the opportunity to review the Policy Document and the right to change your mind.

Consequently, I consider adequate steps were taken to advise you of the main features and claim procedures of your Cardholder Repayment Protector Plans. I am therefore unable to agree to the refund of premiums that you seek"

If I was given suitable literature at the time of purchase and the cooling of period was explained, I would not be claiming premiums for a miss-sold Insurance policy

"You have stated that you would receive pay from your employer in the event of sickness. However, benefits from the Cardholder Repayment Protector are paid irrespective of any benefits being provided elsewhere. This means that in the event of a valid claim your credit card repayments would be covered by the Cardholder Repayment Protector, leaving any benefits from your employer available for your own personal use. In addition, the Cardholder Repayment Protector provided cover in the event of involuntary unemployment, which you would not receive from your employer.

I was told that the Insurance policy was mandatory due to my credit rating, salary and requested credit limit of £1,000. At the time, being young and naive I thought the bank was doing nothing more than trying to help me, and not using my ignorance to their advantage. After being told again that I stood a better chance of being accepted, I had no reason to disbelieve this and accepted this as a legitimate condition.

"Regrettably, due to the passing of time, the original application has not been located. However, I can confirm that it is not Bank procedure to issue insurance without the appropriate documentation being completed"

Convenient!

"I would also point out that the premiums paid in respect of the plan have appeared on your statements since June 1997. However, we have no record of you contacting HSBC to query the Insurance or advising us that you consider the plan was miss-sold to you. I note that you canceled the insurance in March 2005"

Yep they have got me on this one as I did cancel the Insurance policy In March 2005, which was exactly the same time I closed my account and settled the balance.

My two options are to either commence with legal proceedings, or lodge a formal complaint with FOS which given the sudden influx of complaints could take 3-6 months.

Any thoughts?:)

Well I am currently working with Phatram on our POC for Egg although our circumstances are slightly different and the POC needs changing to reflect your circumstances.....for example I was employed and would have had 6 months full pay for sick and also I have pre existing med condition .......Whereas Phatram was self employed so the PPI was useless....

Also....what % interst are you going for ....I am only doing stst 8% whereas Phatram is doing contractual.

I will PM you with a POC and you are most welcome to change it to suit

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

If you want to send it to alan@consumeractiongroup.co.uk I will have a look for you.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have tried to contact D&G Solicitors to establish how they are going to settle my claim, however they apprently know nothing about it. I smell a rat here - what are they cooking up!!

Is there such a thing as a judgement by default settlement letter?

Have you got the judgment by default? if you have apply for a warrant ASAP and get a Bailiff to enforce it.

If DG get involved they will apply for the judgment to be set aside because of (enter some lame excuse normally postal) and you will be back to the waiting game :rolleyes:

pete