Help Needed-Limitation Act-Claim over 6 years

SupermanX
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was made an offer by HSBC without prejudice in settlement of my claim. My claim is for 1735.62 pounds they have offered 1153.45.

HSBC are claiming that they are not willing to settle in full because my claim goes back more than six years:-? ,,,,they state that they will not consider any claim over six years since it is time barred under the Limitation Act 1980 :-? ,,,,,

what shall i do? is anybody familiar with the Limitation Act? what does without prejudice mean?

can anybody please help? Tks

Here's the whole act: http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/docs/cp151apa.pdf

The part you are interested in is[quote name=s32 Postponement of limitation period in case of fraud, concealment or

mistake](1) Subject to subsections (3) and (4A) below, where in the case of any

action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act,

either--

(a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or

(b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has

been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant;

or

© the action is for relief from the consequences of a

mistake;

the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has

discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be)

or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it.

References in this subsection to the defendant include references to

the defendant’s agent and to any person through whom the

defendant claims and his agent.

Basically what this means is that the have concealed the fact that these charges are unlawful.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Thanks for your replies.

I just went through my breakdown of charges and I have noticed that only £55 goes above 6 years. Their offer makes no sense to what they are claimining under the Limitation Act,,, their offer is £581.81 lower than what i am claiming, on the other hand only £55 is over six years.

Their explaination for not make a full refund is crap,, it should not look good in court?

I'm thinking of replying to the offer and pointing out that the offer is contradictory

stick to your guns...

they will pay out the full amount.

How can they say that its statute barred? They dont even agree that the charges are penalties do they?

This is normal stuff from HSBC/DG... just carry on regardless. Just send in the standard rejection letter in the library.:-D

(it's not a negotiation... :-D)

Hi, I'm in a similar position and have a hearing on 3rd Aug. Wish I'd read this yesterday as I reckon I've ballsed up. I refiled my POC yesterday taking off those dates and wrote a letter to them conceeding that they were over 6 years...I thought that you had to use the above defence in your POC (which I hadn't done in my original)?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the legal arguments for you, s32(1)© gives you a very strong case for extension of the usual 6 year limitation period. The argument you can point out to HSBC is that, following the House of Lords judgment in Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council [1998] All ER (D) 518, s32(1)© applies in the case of an action for recovery of money paid under a mistake of law. The only question of law that remains to be established in court is whether the banks' charges are unlawful.

The beauty of this is that, in order to apply s32(1)©, the courts have to decide whether the charges are unlawful - so it is a question of fact which the courts would have to settle. I can't see HSBC being keen to allow that to get to court.

There is a further argument that goes in your favour as long as this is not a business account. UTCCR is European legislation and so any legal remedy that you are entitled to under it cannot be limited by national provisions - i.e. the Limitation Act simply cannot be applied (there is good ECJ authority for this; e.g. Factortame).

The only time limitation with UTCCR is that it can only be used back until 31 Dec 1994.

I hope this helps.:)