computer spyware

postggj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

index.dat is a binary file that holds tracking cookies etc, it cant be removed but it can be cleaned, google for "ccleaner", install, then run last thing befor you shutdown your PC.

The google toolbar does have a tracking cookie , the above will remove any cookie thats installed, or you can delete the google toolbar.

Not that I'm an expert (just about manage to find the power button) but make sure your programs don't clash with each other - I believe some are incompatible with others and can end up working against each other.

I personally use AVG Free antivirus and antispyware, as well as spyware blaster (afetr having removed Virgins PC Guard which ground my computer to a halt). But like I said, not an expert.

Now what's this here....scan now? What's that [click].......found 1,2,3,4, :eek: lol!

Using Firefox will reduce the amount you pick up, compared to IE.

Using Linux instead of Windows will eradicate the problem.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• 1 month later...
you are not wrong!

I have norton... its always screwing up my system.

Last time I had Nortons on my PC I had to do a full format to uninstall the blooming thing !!!! It had decided to pick its own admin password !!!

I also use AVG free and Spybot S&D and been virus free for last 6 yrs :)

Through many years of building PCs, I've found - for Windows Operating Systems - the following setup works especially well:

Running Resident

These run all the time your machine is on, giving live protection. These four programs collectively use less memory than the bloatware that is Norton.

Spybot - TeaTimer

A resident shield that you can be optionally installed with SpyBot - Search and Destroy. TeaTimer will protect you from registry changes, allowing you to allow or deny them as required.

ZoneAlarm

One of the best, and easiest to use, firewalls available. Will prompt you whenever something tries to access the internet, giving you the option to allow or deny it. Do not use Windows' own inbuilt firewall; it has more holes in it than Swiss cheeese.

AVG AntiVirus

A multi-award winning and excellent anti-virus system. The free edition has all the features and functions you will need, including regular updates and complete email scanning of both incoming and outgoing emails.

Spyware Blaster

Maintains a blacklist of sites known to install spy/malware and blocks such installation. Keep it updated regularly, especially if you use Internet Explorer.

This is all you really need to run. Be very careful about trying to add too many resident shields or other protection; it's impractical and may actually reduce your security as some programs may conflict with one another.

On my own PC, I have four programs in my taskbar: TeaTimer, Zonealarm, AVG and my sound card's volume control. That's it.

Having fewer programs will vastly help with speed and stability of your system. I've repaired a lot of computers in my time, and seen some truly hideous examples with a dozen or more programs running at any time.

If you have bought, rather than built, your computer, you've like had Norton or McAfee bundled onto it whether you want them or not. Uninstall them. Trust me, get rid of them; the programs above will more than replace them, and at a fraction of the memory and CPU usage.

Take a look at your taskbar right now. You should have an anti-virus and a firewall as standard, but you should be asking yourself if you really need any of the programs you have in addition to that.

Run Regularly

These should be run regularly. I personally run them once a week, but at least once a month should be fine for most.

CCleaner

Will help to clean out large amounts of 'junk' (benign files/cookies/etc.) that your PC picks up simply by being run. Will also cleanup the registry, all of which will help your PC run faster.

CleanUp!

Compliments the above program. This also cleans out your PC, and, in combination with CCleaner, will pretty much completely clean all your 'junk'.

Spybot - Search and Destroy

Will clean out almost all forms of spyware and malware from your system. Simple to use, powerful, and regularly updated.

AVG AntiSpyware

An excellent spyware/malware remover from the same team that produced AVG AntiVirus. In combination with Spybot, this will completely clean your system.

Optional Extras

These are programs I personally choose to use, but are not absolutely necessary.

Startup CPL

Ever wonder exactly what it is that gets fired up when you start your PC? This program will show you everything, then allow you to toggle them with a simple mouse click.

XP AntiSpy

Allows you to switch off the aspects of Windows XP that Micro$oft don't want you switching off. This turns XP back into something resembling a real operating system.

Tweak UI

The only thing more surprising than the sheer amount of control over your own system this program gives you, is that it is made by Micro$oft. Allows you to tailor your system the way you want it.

Hijack This!

Included here for the sake of completeness, this extremely powerful program will allow you to remove keys and links that may be spyware at a root level. Many legitimate links - who happen to use the same technology tricks as spyware - also get detected, so this should only be used for those who are experienced with the Windows OS. You have been warned!

Safer Browsing

The best way to browse the internet.

This one really is a no-brainer; use FireFox. It is superior to IE in every way, and infinitely more secure. You are less likely to get spyware in the first place if you browse with FireFox, especially with the NoScript plugin which will block all scripts on visited websites, then offer you the option of allowing them or not.

If you must use Internet Explorer - and there is no reason to do so - then make sure you use Spybot's IE Resident Shield.

Guest Old_andrew2018
Using Firefox will reduce the amount you pick up, compared to IE.

Using Linux instead of Windows will eradicate the problem.

how do you get firefox, please explain in simple terms as I not too hot on computing, just finished writing down my knowledge about computing, back of postage stamp now half full.

tez, i must concur, your list is spot-on and identical to mine.

likewise work in the field shall we say

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Norton is a pig and a half, and I really fail to see why it still comes pre-bundled with new PCs. With Windows you have a one-off licence on a new machine, but with Norton you get your 90 days for free, then there is the "opportunity" to opt out of paid for continuance of service.

My own experience tells me that most people are happy and capable to browse the net, do email and write half decent letters and spreadsheets. "Maintenance" is something else, and because Norton is a de-facto name, they consider it safe and reliable...but if you don't want it, and are confident to try something else, then it is almost impossible to remove.

I have spent many years "tweaking" machines for friends, nothing major, just removing the bloat and showing them how to keep it running smoothly...I suppose it could be likened to showing them how to change the oil and spark plugs on a car, but leaving the engine to experts.

First off you need spyware protection, anti virus and firewall. The following are all excellent, so should be downloaded and installed first of all:

As mentioned, CCleaner and GlaryUtilities are great for cleaning crud and temp files, and also tidy up the registry to prevent conflicts within the system:

Restart the machine, run the programs a couple of times to get them "active" and configured correctly, then it is time to remove Norton once and for all.

Norton has so-called uninstallers, but however hard you try, there is always residual crud, and the only sure way to eradicate it is to download the Norton Removal Tool from here:

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Make sure you use the right one for your machine/system, as the install paths are different depending on what Windows flavour you use. However, this DOES THE JOB, and once you restart your machine you will not believe the difference in start up speed and application response times...it really is equivalent to having handcuffs removed...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

norton is crap, I am glad you posted that removal tool spicenix.

I will be removing it asap, the subscription is up, and I will not be renewing it. It really causes a lot of probs, when the pc locks and it has to do it's scan of the hard drive because I have had to switch it off at the wall, norton or symatec is always one of the files that are "invalid" or whatever.

Last time I had Nortons on my PC I had to do a full format to uninstall the blooming thing !!!! It had decided to pick its own admin password !!!

I also use AVG free and Spybot S&D and been virus free for last 6 yrs :)

I installed Norton 360 and it deleted my javascript. Being a computer thickie I had to take my pc to my local expert who took 9 days and a lot of money to recover it!