Lost MOT cert!

freakyleaky
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't know if anyone can help but here is my problem.

I have just come to renew tax on my van and I have misplaced the MOT certificate so I can't get the Tax!

How long will I have before dvla fine me for not renewing tax and can I get a replacement certificate from anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

You can apply to any MoT Testing Station for a duplicate certificate. You will need to produce the V5 and it will cost £10

These days, the certificate is not evidence of MoT in itself, but evidence of an entry in the VOSA database which is the definitive record.

Given this, why not tax your vehicle on-line to save any further delay?

Technically, if your VED expired on 31st August, you are now committing 2 offences when you drive. The old '14 days grace' is/was a myth - you can be prosecuted now if your vehicle is driven or parked on the road.

Hi pat and thanks for your reply!

I have not been well recently and have not been driving the van and won't be for another week at least.

I will tax the van on line as soon as I get the certificate. As far as I can see I need the number from the cert to do this. Or can I do it without the cert?

VED = Vehicle Excise Duty ie tax disc

You don't need the MoT cert to tax on-line - that's the whole point. You either need the reference number from the V% or the renewal notice.

The system will check for MoT and insurance via databases.

Even if you are not driving the vehicle at the moment, the regulations require either VED or SORN - you cannot simply do nothing.

• Haha 1

Thanks Noomi! Thats was my next move. trouble is I can't drive at the moment due to all the medication I am on! Ironic really!

It's great being able to do all this on line. Soon be able to plug the car in to the back of the pc and get it MOT'd on line!:D

Ironically, Im just back from an MOT test!

Failed, they couldnt test the brakes, due to the fact that they couldnt drive the car out of the brake testing rollers.

(Due to my throttle cable snapping on the way there!)

Doh!

Daftest thing Im ever been failed on! Throttle cable! :mad:

Ah well, Ive got a re-test booked, so should go through next time.

I was going to say that you could have gone back to the garage where you got it MOTd last time and got a duplicate, for a fee.

No, since the 'computerised' certificates came in, all MoT records are held centrally by VOSA. the certificate is merely a certification of this entry.

You can now go to any MoT testing station to get a duplicate. You will need your V5 - registration document