Continuous Registration Fine

dbartlett
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I part exchanged a motorbike in Jan 07. I sent off the v5C/3 to DVAL and guess what they did not get it! Next I know I get a fine for £40 now £80.

They registered the new owner 15 weeks later when I responded to fine letter.

Two days before the part ex I filled in a v14 form to get my road tax back. I did not fill in the SORN as it was going to sold in two days and I would send off the V5 to DVLA. In the meantime it was kept off the road at the dealership.

The DVLA must therefore have know that I had either SOLD, exported, or scrapped my bike as I did not make a SORN declaration. (thats what teh v14 declaration says!) Well they refunded the money on the tax disc, so they got that!

I have now written to the DVLA asking where it states how soon you have to send off the V5 form after sale, and where legislation informs the innocent that it is our responsibility to chase the DVLA.

They are basically saying tough should have got in touch etc.

During that 15 week window from sale to response to fine I had the birth of my second child, at the time the other one was only 14 months (so demanding), I was working and studying full time and a dissertation had to be handed in, and also involved in a court case that had been going on for 3 years and came to a conclusion in that time, oh and my parents separated! Chasing the DVLA was the last thing on my mind!

They did not respond to letters I have sent since the fine saying they have not received them (boy am I unlucky!). I genuinely cannot afford to pay the fine...

It looks like I may have to take a chance with the magistrates but I don't want a CCJ...any other ideas in how to get out of this hole.

cheers

Hi

I part exchanged a motorbike in Jan 07. I sent off the v5C/3 to DVAL and guess what they did not get it! Next I know I get a fine for £40 now £80.

They registered the new owner 15 weeks later when I responded to fine letter.

Two days before the part ex I filled in a v14 form to get my road tax back. I did not fill in the SORN as it was going to sold in two days and I would send off the V5 to DVLA. In the meantime it was kept off the road at the dealership.

The DVLA must therefore have know that I had either SOLD, exported, or scrapped my bike as I did not make a SORN declaration. (thats what teh v14 declaration says!) Well they refunded the money on the tax disc, so they got that!

I have now written to the DVLA asking where it states how soon you have to send off the V5 form after sale, and where legislation informs the innocent that it is our responsibility to chase the DVLA.

They are basically saying tough should have got in touch etc.

During that 15 week window from sale to response to fine I had the birth of my second child, at the time the other one was only 14 months (so demanding), I was working and studying full time and a dissertation had to be handed in, and also involved in a court case that had been going on for 3 years and came to a conclusion in that time, oh and my parents separated! Chasing the DVLA was the last thing on my mind!

They did not respond to letters I have sent since the fine saying they have not received them (boy am I unlucky!). I genuinely cannot afford to pay the fine...

It looks like I may have to take a chance with the magistrates but I don't want a CCJ...any other ideas in how to get out of this hole.

cheers

If the V5 was in the same envelope as the claim for a refund they could hardly say they did not receive it.;)

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS