CCJ: To set aside or ask for re-determination?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HFC Bank (Marbles)

50/month offer rejected - CCJ determined 250/month!

1. Whilst admitting the full amount (at the behest of my DM company) - I would like to now defendas it included a sizeable 'collection charge', in addtion to other unlawful account charges incurred - and also request a CCA.

Is requesting to have the judgement set aside too risky - should I rather file for a redetermination?

2. As my DMP is classed as a 'non-priority debt' - which the CCJ now IS - that means less ££s for the other creditors IF it stays at this lofty amount.

I would hope a judge could see I'm trying, no!?

3. Would it be better to go the unlawful charge route separately now (at least to have the total amount lowered)?

Does a CCJ now mean that all bets are off regarding a F&F offer?

Too many questions I know!

Did the original determination take place without a hearing? who decided the rate of payment? was it a court clerk or a judge? If a district judge made the original determination WITH a hearing, there is no right of re-determination.

You could attempt a set aside on the grounds of the collection charge being unlawful, whether or not you get it is open to debate.

You will be very lucky to have a F&F agreed on a judgment debt, it's not totally unheard of, however.

Thanks for your response!

Original Judgement was made without hearing - one imagines a court clerk.

If I question the collection charge as a reason for setting the judgement aside - and it's NOT set aside - then I lose my right to ask for re-determination, no?

Maybe I should pursue that separately?

I think an initial request for re-determination within the timeframe is free - subsequent to that it's the £35 fee.

How long does it take for a set-aside request to be granted/rejected? I'm not into dancing with death with an upcoming 1st payment date - which if I don't make I'm deeper...!

I'd love to file both forms - without being spanked by the courts for being over-zealous!

I think an initial request for re-determination within the timeframe is free

it is, request in writing rather than on the n244, some courts get confused when they receive a re-determination request without the fee :)

Ok - that I can definitely do - write as opposed to completing the 245, and including my statement of affairs - even though my DMP are NON PRIORITY PAYMENTS (Grrrrr!!!!).

Can I ask for an appeal hearing or is the redetermination again done remotely?

The 244/Set Aside does carry a fee tho, yup? So the question remains can I do both - could I appear troublesome?

Thanks again

everybody gets their collection fees removed .... down the lines of penalty charges and this shower have not got any executed agreements either

Tam Wing Chuen -v- Bank of Credit and Commerce Hong Kong Ltd [1996] 2 BCLC 69

PC

Lord Mustill Commonwealth,

Lord Mustill discussed the need to construe a contract contra preferentem: "the basis of the contra proferentem principle is that the person who puts forward the wording of a proposed agreement may be assumed to have looked after his own interests, so that if words leave room for doubt about whether he is intended to have a particular benefit there is reason to suppose that he is not."

Tam Wing Chuen -v- Bank of Credit and Commerce Hong Kong Ltd [1996] 2 BCLC 69

PC

Lord Mustill Commonwealth,

Lord Mustill discussed the need to construe a contract contra preferentem: "the basis of the contra proferentem principle is that the person who puts forward the wording of a proposed agreement may be assumed to have looked after his own interests, so that if words leave room for doubt about whether he is intended to have a particular benefit there is reason to suppose that he is not."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ALL

My CCJ was set aside - so I can get that transferred to a local court and have a jolly good go (especially as their CCA provision has amounted to a mere application), but ...

having just checked my credit file the CCJ is already on there?! I thought a CCJ was filed 30 days after judgement - this has not been the case and my request to set aside was made within 16 days - how can this be filed immediately against my credit file?!

Ok- the file is pretty shot with defaults, but I'd like to dream of a tidy file!!

Hi ALL

My CCJ was set aside - so I can get that transferred to a local court and have a jolly good go (especially as their CCA provision has amounted to a mere application), but ...

having just checked my credit file the CCJ is already on there?! I thought a CCJ was filed 30 days after judgement - this has not been the case and my request to set aside was made within 16 days - how can this be filed immediately against my credit file?!

Ok- the file is pretty shot with defaults, but I'd like to dream of a tidy file!!

Of course it shouldn't be there if it was set aside. You'll probably find it will disappear shortly of its own accord but it's worth firing off a complaint to the offending CRA's.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"