GE Money home lending (formally i group)

:Boy:
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes, I am with GE Capital formerly I Group, seem to have clocked up some outrageous charges during I Groups time but am ticking over with GE but still have some charges at £40 a go. I Group tried to take my home twice (and lost twice):D

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very good luck with your claim:) I am tackling my bank at moment but have a secured loan that has attracted nightmare charges over the years also so am not taking them all on at one time, that might change though;-)

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

sorry I dont really know much about how to sort it out yet but I am aware of the difficulties in even changing your monthly payment as I wanted to change mine and yes they said it would cost me an additional interest charge so I decided not to change it. I think I have some fees sitting somewhere else with them that are attracting interest also, I feel this is very unfair but need to check it out as I'm not sure how they charge or on what (hidden charges) I will be looking out for some useful hints:)

good luck, seems many of us will be in the same boat!;-)

just read the guidance notes re GE and found it very helpful.

I found them under Other Institutions, mortgage companies, then the first sticky by Seminole. sorry dont know how to link it.:)

Before GE it was I Group and before then it was Ocwen, I know alarm bells were ringing about Ocwen a long time ago. I only knew they were a different outfit when I received a letter with a different letterhead, so does this mean I am still with the same lender and the original contract. Just a thought as I do not know how this works.:confused:

I recently received a full account statement since beginning, I have thousands in charges for my Income Support period while ill, I was only ever one month behind but they still tried repossession. Come to think of it they applied the charges when 'I' was paying on time but DWP paid sporadically?? so why was I picking up charges for them.

Reading Seminols sticky I would love to change to a reputable lender as soon as possible also and get MY money back.

So many people are trapped in a loop, they are good citizens like everyone else but have had a rough patch and can never get out of it because all the charges pin them down, it is evil and then others stupidly think it is because you are 'unable' to manage your financial affairs properly??

very best wishes to all who are seeking redress, I hope you get on okay.

• 1 month later...

dear D5Tweddle, I am pretty sure others have claimed back their early redemption fees on the grounds that they are unfair. I will be doing so when I change to another lender but not until then.

it does seem odd that you have not been charged for any arrears but I would ring them and ask how they apply their charges because I have an idea the charges might be going on to a seperate account somewhere running parallel. I was told this by I Group a long time ago and stumbled across it almost by chance, I think CAB challenged I Group and had a huge file on them and should know some more about what there practices are/were. very best of luck with it all.

I asked for a full account statement not a subject access request, this might be the difference in figures etc given. It runs to several pages and shows the returned dd's and charges clearly, also the interest charges when applied. What if you apply directly to GE Money, they have an automated request on their phone no but they will put a charge on your account for a full statement.

• 2 months later...

I would try sending a DPA request with your name and address (i.e.the property mortgaged) as the reference for them to search for your account details.

someone else might have a better idea.

when sending documents it is best to use recorded delivery because of the 'pretending not to have received them' problem, as for the court, I suppose they just use the normal post but I have taken all my documents to the court and had a receipt or date stamped copy taken.

Hi,

This is in my opinion where the court system falls down.

Proof of posting is not proof of receiving. The court papers say: "date sent dd/mm/yy deemed served on the dd/mm/yy. A defendant can ignore the court claim actually received. Lie later on that they received nothing, refer to CPR 6.5 and apply for a set aside. THIS IS WRONG.(my Opinion) But, until the courts' procedure for issuing claimants' claims is brought into the 21st century what can we do?

Just a rant!!

Good luck to all who claim against I-Group GE money

Paul

thanks, proof of receiving docs is a problem, how about signed for postings, do they say they are missing also.

I asked for a full account statement not a subject access request, this might be the difference in figures etc given. It runs to several pages and shows the returned dd's and charges clearly, also the interest charges when applied. What if you apply directly to GE Money, they have an automated request on their phone no but they will put a charge on your account for a full statement.

just rec'd my refusal to repay letter from GE, they state all their charges are lawful and fair, I have a thread elsewhere so not hijacking (sorry):)

I think you win by default after 14 days if is them ignoring the claim, so maybe this falls into that category because it is equivalent to them doing so as they have not taken the appropriate action if eg they wanted to defend.

maybe a mod or a legal mind will be more helpful, best wishes.

• 1 month later...

any news D5Tweddle? I had an offer and have accepted but not as final. does anyone know how interest is charges on the charges by GE, I dont understand their system.

hope it goes okay, when you win you will get your court costs back. when GE replied to me initially they sent a long list of all their 'manual' intervention so I reckon this is the way they are intending to go as a defence for all those years and years of penalty charges.

• 3 weeks later...
any news D5Tweddle? I had an offer and have accepted but not as final. does anyone know how interest is charges on the charges by GE, I dont understand their system.

GE credited their offer to my mortgage account so the charges remain on the charges account? this means my mortgage is in credit but surely this also means that interest is clocking up on the charges?

they did not advise me, when I rang to query what was happening since my LBA they just told me they had done this, it kinda caught me off guard and I needed to think about what it meant, re interest etc. obviously they had no intentions of just posting a cheque, rather cancelling the charges so that I dont have to pay them in the long run but the way they have done this surely means they can hang on to all the interest that will be added??

• 2 weeks later...

hello mariette, is this question for me - if so, I think it was about 2 months payments, it might have just ticked into three but I paid some of it before reaching court and then a family member loaned the rest to me, this action was enough to convince the judge but I dont know what would have happened otherwise, if I remember correctly I had a suspended order for a year and this meant they could repossess if I fell behind again (sorry cant be more accurate than that) it is my understanding that you have to have the relevant paperwork and the opportunity to state your case in court if it comes to that, I had some help from national debtline

just another thought, GE solicitor was very slippery, and said all the advice from national debtline was wrong, of course I had no way of knowing either way as I was not represented by any other party, I would strongly advise you try to get someone to go with you with legal training, a pro bono solicitors might be able to help or try cab, i think they have a legal aid scheme

remember it is the judge who decides, but check all the legal apects thoroughly, and then check it again

are they charging you any penalty charges, how about reclaiming them and then you can offset the arrears with what they owe you, since they are already taking legal action you are not risking 'upsetting' them but maybe they will notice you know your rights, try looking up national debtlines website and make sure you put in any and all extenuating circumstances, and say if you will be homeless, make a big point.

all good advice, I asked GE in the past to change my terms and they refused. they tried to repossess me on two occasions. first time, I dont think I could pay all the arrears off but made a reasonable offer ( struggling to remember but I think I offerred post dated cheques) and stated I had no family, no where else to go. hope this helps.

also on second occasion a friend wrote a letter for the court stating that they would act as guarantor on the payments (also a job offer letter, however informal an arrangement)might help. basically pull together as much as you can.