Vehicle registered at wrong address

lisa1987
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My ex partner moved out a year ago. He kept his van registered under my address and his insurance aswell.

About 4 months ago i told him to change it to his own address as he gets quite alot of parking tickets and i had a bailiff at the door.

He told me he would but i have recieved another summons at my address.

Can i contact DVLA to tell them the vehicle is not kept here and the owner doesn't live here.

I sent the summons back and correspondence from the insurance company back.

Although when I explained situation to bailiffs they were understanding and gave me no grief, I am just worried they might come when I am not here, also I now have no forwarding address for my ex.

No you cannot.

[edited]

Only the Registered Keeper can update the information on file for that vehicle. All the DVLA want is an address they can contact the Keeper, s/he doesn't have to live at the address stated, and doesn't have to be the owner either.

This is really a private matter between the two of you. All you can reasonably do is write 'Gone Away' on any mail received from them or tell the postman mail for Mr X will be refused - but I can almost guarantee this will not result in the RK's address changing or being removed as any address is better than none.

They will be able to fine him for not updating the vehicle record, but there is nothing you can do directly that will change thnigs.

[edited] .:rolleyes:

I said she can inform DVLA of the fact that her ex is no longer living at the address. They will then place a marker on their records to show that they have received information to the effect the RK is no longer at the address that they have.

This is a scenario that happens all the time with people moving address and not notifying DVLA of the new address. When the new residents receive something in the post from DVLA for the old occupiers, it is not unusual for the new occupiers to write to DVLA and inform them that the person no longer lives there. DVLA will then place the relevant marker on the vehicle record.

I had a situation 3 years ago where I was involved in a RTA with a driver of a white van. He stopped and we exchanged details but they turned out to be false. I tried to obtain the RK details from DVLA but they would not supply them because they had received a letter from the person living at the address supplied by the RK to DVLA that he in fact did not live there. So they placed a marker on the vehicle record to that effect.

[edited]

Oh I did my dear Robert :p

DVLA do not accept a letter from the public as proof positive an RK is not what it is claimed to be. How long are these sweeping 'statements of fact' going to be perpetrated in your feeble attempt at being an authority on the matter? It is 'not unusual' for new addressees to inform the DVLA? What is the percentage of this? Even the letters the DVLA send out as reminder have PRINTED on them 'Do Not Redirect or return to sender'.

[edited]

Considering the DVLA, Police and Traffic Wardens monitor our every move as motorists, I for one wouldn't assist any of them with information on anyone aprt from what is required by law when selling / buying a vehicle etc. I do understand it is a serious offence not to change the address on your drivers license when you have moved house etc..

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Rob S and buzby - please read the following closely.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

A topic/post will be edited or deleted if it contains:

* ...personal abuse.

So, let's see an end to this, as the other option is to moderate your accounts. We wish to avoid this action, so please pay attention to the above.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Oh I did my dear Robert :p

DVLA do not accept a letter from the public as proof positive an RK is not what it is claimed to be.

Indeed they don't, but they will put a marker on the vehicle record to record the fact that the current keeper details are not correct, whilst still showing the RK as the keeper. Which is what I was saying. But you failed to understand that. The fact is the OP CAN write to DVLA and tell them that her ex partner no longer lives at the address and he has failed to update DVLA.

The DVLA have a series of markers they can place on vehicle records which are useful for themselves and the authorities. The fact that someone has moved address and not notified DVLA is one such circumstance where they will use this marker.

How long are these sweeping 'statements of fact' going to be perpetrated in your feeble attempt at being an authority on the matter?

They are not sweeping statements when they are correct. DVLA use a variety of markers. That is a fact.

It is 'not unusual' for new addressees to inform the DVLA? What is the percentage of this? Even the letters the DVLA send out as reminder have PRINTED on them 'Do Not Redirect or return to sender'.

[edited]

I have no idea of the percentages but the fact that DVLA have generated a marker to put on vehicle records in these circumstances suggests that it is a regular occurance.

Afraid it suggests nothing of the sort to me. Based on the DVLAs express wish NOT to be informed by Royal Mail that the RKs address is invlaid does appear to prove they don't actually care either way. Especially when the return of such mail would be instant confirmation.

hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I think what I will do is write to DVLA to let them know and what they do with the info is up to them.

Maybe when bailiffs catch up with ex and he has to pay hundreds of pounds in charges for a £40 parking ticket he'll realize it's in his interest to update details himself.:grin:

Giving advice such as "this is really a private matter between the two of you" is highly erroneous.

Do you know, I think I might have sleepless nights over that.... as for my opinion of your views - well, I'm not allowed to say.

Regardless of the spat going on between RobS and Buzby, you should write to the DVLA.

Either they will place a marker on the registration or they will ignore you - at worst you will waste a stamp.

What you should do is write to the insurance company - the change of addess may affect both the premium and the cover

write to the DVLA, the next time you receive mail. there is then a letter that can be issued which you need to sign and provide if you know the new persons address. your address can then be removed. If they don't remove it at first keep pushing as they will do it eventually

x