Told to find god.....

wakenthedead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on an incident which happened yesterday whilst on a visit to my local surgery.

On a visit to a locum gp at my surgery, I discussed my ongoing mental health problems with depression, anxiety and agorophobia as well as problems with opening and reading mail and using the telephone.

I had a panic attack during the session with the GP as we discussed my various medication and how long I had suffered with my illness. I told her that I found it hard to go outside, that I had had to force myself to go to the doctors that morning and that I had been awake all night stressing about going. The locum gp told me that she was glad I had gone to see her, that god had wanted me to visit the surgery that day and had delivered me into her care. She then told me that the reason I had suffered with mental health issues for so long was that I had no faith and that I had to let god into my life. She asked if I had a faith and I replied not really, feeling uncomfortable to speak about my personal spiritual beliefs with my doctor.

She told me that the best thing I could do would be to go home, turn on the sky tv and find the god channel or the christian network and listen to some of the programmes on there. That I had to keep an open mind, let god into my heart and allow him to heal me. She said that mental anguish and torment is sometimes a punishment from god for non believers. She was very forceful and at times almost bullying - asking me lots of very very personal questions none of which related to my illness and which left me with the impression she was passing judgement on me. She then said - what do you want me to give you and left me to ask for medication and essentially fill out my own prescription. We then discussed my previous pschiatric care and just as I was leaving, she said that none of the pills and sessions with the psychiatrist seemed to work and probably wouldnt work for me and the only thing to do is to let god in.

I left feeling worse than when I arrived, ran home hysterical, my husband sat me down and as I told him the story became outraged. I ended up in bed, having been physically sick until I collapsed, shaking uncontrollably and in a real mess.

I feel morally assaulted, something which I never thought would happen from a visit to my GP. Are doctors allowed to do such intrusive religious preaching, especially when someone is mentally ill, with a history of suicidal tendencies. She's made my problem far worse - I had issues with speaking to doctors, or anyone about my health problems before, I'm absolutely sure I won't be doing it again.

Should I pursue a complaint or is this advice normal across the board. :confused:

L

• Haha 1

The advice is certainly not normal and I think you should seek the opinion of another doctor re your health .

As for putting in a complaint it is your word against theirs as you have no proof it was said. I would certainly put your complaint in writing as then if anyone else complains it will show a pattern and it also may stop her giving that 'advice' to someone else .

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Preaching to a patient in this way is inappropriate. A doctor's first duty is to the patient, not their own religious or cultural beliefs. You have a right to be treated non-judgmentally and on the basis of clinical need.

In the first instance, complain to the Senior Partner at the practice; they will have a procedure for this. Alternatively, you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service at the Primary Care Trust.

There should be proof of what went on, since the doctor is obliged to keep a record of the consultation, though I wouldn't be surprised if the note just says 'reassured' or 'advised' or some similar blandness, though your average happy-clapper is usually only too pleased to advertise what they're about. You may find that this is not an isolated incident.

Everyone has a right to their own faith and beliefs, but shouldn't try to impose them on others. These people who have 'found God' can be very hard work indeed. They often have no insight at all into the way their behaviour affects others, since everything is simply ascribed to being part of God's plan for them. Try punching one; he'll probably tell you that God made you do it so that he should learn that being born again isn't easy, or some such drivel.

Ascribing mental health problems to 'God's punishment' was popular in medieval times; I think we've learned a little since then.

Clearly this episode has shattered your confidence in the medical profession, but I hope that you will soon feel able to continue with any treatment.

Complain, complain, complain!!!!! There was a case in the media recently where a woman was told that her symptoms were being caused by 'something inside' her and that she could only be cured by god - I think, although I'm having difficulty finding the story again, that this case is currently bein reviewed by the GMC. Inflicting your religious views on a patient is a serious breach of everything doctors should stand for - don't just let this go, imagine if she does this to someone with an even more serious history of mental illness!

• Haha 1

Thanks for the advice guys. My husband has phoned the senior partners at the GP's and put in a verbal complaint. They agreed that it should not have happened and they've said I can come in for a complaint form and submit my complaint in writing.

I'm still completely overwhelmed by the whole incident. :???:

Guest louis wu

There are times that I am ashamed to be part of the NHS.

We have such dedicated people, who work hard, only to be let down by idiots like your doctor.

I agree with whats been writen, and hope that the partners at your surgery act quickly, and decisevely, to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I am sure you are overwhelmed, I think most right thinking people would be. If you want to discuss faith, you go to a priest (or whoever your faith dictates). If you want medical advice, you go o a doctor. When those lines are blurred/crossed, people get hurt.

I hope you get a positive outcome from this

louis

THATS COMPLETELY OUT OF ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she should be struck off for giving such advice - so what would she have said to you if you were muslim, hindu, pagan, catholic, etc????? i HATE these type of people with a PASSION

it sounds to me like she has mental health problems of her own disguised in a veil of religious doctrine - this preaching was highly unprofessional and im glad your husband has put in a verbal complaint - i would take this further xxx

• Haha 1

Just remember, this is a bad case. Don't let this stop you from visiting a different doctor and getting help.

Definately put in a complaint. If she said the same thing to a person with cancer, telling them they could be cured if they believed in god, it would be clearly harmful. And it is just the same with mental health problems. It is an illness, for which you need treatment- MEDICAL treatment.

She has, with her religious wittering and asking you what you want prescribed, not treated you properly. It is misconduct, plain and simple.

I would gladly have her up in front of the GMC. She is a danger to her patients and her treatment has worsened your medical condition.

I know you must be feeling awful right now. Keep going- sometimes this is the hardest thing to do when you're feeling rough, but I know this from personal experience. And tell your doctors that your condition has been made worse by this doctors behaviour and that you need help/medical treatment asap.

• Haha 1

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I'm a GP and I'd be pretty cross if I found out one of my colleagues took that sort of line. I suppose if a christian patient wanted advice about conflicts between their faith and their actions it might be OK to direct them to the church or other faith based organisations, but to spout that sort of stuff at someone who did not bring faith into the consultation is unhelpful, possibly dangerous to their mental wellbeing, and likely to drive the patient away from the practice as a source of help at a difficult time.

I suspect the GMC might be interested in being told about it as well, so you could contact them to let them know.

Heres a excerpt from the GMC duties of a Doctor, which states doctors MUST:

• Treat patients as individuals and respect their dignity
    • Treat patients politely and considerately

[*] Work in partnership with patients

• Listen to patients and respond to their concerns and preferences
    • Give patients the information they want or need in a way they can understand
    • Respect patients' right to reach decisions with you about their treatment and care
    • Support patients in caring for themselves to improve and maintain their health

[*] Be honest and open and act with integrity

• Never discriminate unfairly against patients or colleagues
    • Never abuse your patients' trust in you or the public's trust in the profession.

I'd say she potentially failed in most of the above duties of care in this case, and her attitude may lead her to continue to do so. I think the GMC should be involved to stop her harming patients who do not share her faith - If she were to do this to patients of other faiths then I suspect there would be more of an outcry. If you have no faith this is a choice as valid and noble as any other - see The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins for some backup if need be. If you have faith but have not found it helpful for your mental health (and the guilt inspired by some faiths is often terrible for peoples self esteem and wellbeing in my experience) then being told to seek god is actually insulting.

If I told any patients whose political opinionswere different from mine to go and join the Labour Party or BNP I'd pretty soon be out of a job - why should faith be different? It smacks of cultism and recruiting the vulnerable in order to bost the GPs sense of value. It's just not on.

Well done for being brave enough to post on a public forum about such a private matter. I hope you have by now obtained the help you require. Most GPs do better than this!

I don't think that the quote about it being your word against hers will make much difference as the practice can look at the records of other patients she has seen and will probably find similar tales elsewhere to back yours up.

Please click my scales if this is helpful

• Haha 2

:D <-- MazzaB, financial warrior! (*with a little help from my [real] flexible friends.......*) Bank ---> :mad:

:) Please click on my scales if you find my comments helpful! (or ya think i'm sexy ;))

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to everyone for your comments and advice. I've not been back to the practise in question, I'm scared to but I have decided that rather than coming down heavy handed I am going to write the senior partners a letter explaining the situation and take it from there as essentially the practise is great - except for the moronic behaviour of a locum.

Thanks again guys.

L

x

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to come into to this so late but wanted to let you know my partners tale. Like you she has significant mental health issues (severe depression, severe agoraphobia and severe panic disorder) and she was also told by a doctor that the reason she's so ill is because God is punishing her, as you can imagine the poor thing was in a complete state after that.

It took 4 years for her to approach a GP for advice again, 4 years not being medicated and 4 years of hell. We took a lot of advice over which GP to see and asked at the new practice (we moved house) who would be the best to deal with her problems and we were pointed in the direction of a fantastic man. He's really wonderful and has spent a lot of time getting her meds right, he called every night for 3 weeks when she was struggling to make sure she was happy to go to bed that night, a couple of nights she wasn't and he came out to see us.

What I'm trying to say is that the right doctor is out there for you, I know how hard it is going over it all trying to find the right person to talk to so ask the practice managers who is the GP with the mental health interest.

Good luck and I hope the locum doctor is never employed at the practice again.