Nervous newbie in default mode

Hipster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all. I hope I can get some basic advice from the good people using this forum.

To cut a very long story as short as possible. I have effectively been homeless for just over two years following a painful break up with partner, I lost the plot , left behind all possessions apart from a few clothes, a passport & couple of hundred in the bank. I eventually ended up working on a friends farm in Sweden to cover board & basic lodgings only & finally got my head back together.

My student loan was so far down on my list of priorities however I did write to the SLC in Glasgow explaining situation & seeking advice, recieved no reply & left it at that assuming this was because I was abroad & pretty much awol.

I'm now back in the UK & have found a stable job & currently saving for a deposit on flat rental having every intention of contacting SL's as soon as I was more secure. HOWEVER Honours Student Loans have tracked me down to a previous very temporary address (how I have no idea) sending a default notice stating I must pay £1368.10 right away or this amount will be transferred to balliffs.

This notice was sent back to them as i was no longer at address. I have since telephone both SLC & HSL's (within 14 days of notice) to fess up & offer to make monthly payments on amounts in arrears & to defer the remaining amounts.

My loans with SLC are for 1999 & my two loans with HSL's are for 96 & 97 however I only seem to have two reference numbers for three loans (?)

On calling it became apparent that SLC had pretty much given up trying to find me & have no record of my previous letter apparently. However they say will allow me to defer backdated for three months & are sending the paperwork, they would like me to start paying as much as i can afford to pay on the arrears. I told them i would get back to them after speaking to HSL's.

HSL's however were less sympathetic & unhelpful, in fact downright cagey. Basically they did not want to discuss any deferment & their only concern was that I begin paying at least £100 per month irrispective of my ability to afford this or not. They are also not in the least bit concerned about my SL with the SLC as they consider this to be a completely seperate loan:rolleyes:

After a lot of intentional vagueness from the advisor I apparently will be recieving a copy of the notice of the default to my current temporary address, the advisor I spoke to informed me that i will have charges to pay for any notifications/letters sent, I will also be sent a form to fill in showing my incomings & outgoings on which I can state how much i think I can afford to pay however I was told that its more likely that unless I agree to pay the amount they want me to the arrears will still go to balliffs.

I earn approx £11k pa & I still have very few possessions & no fixed address, up until Jan of this year I had no income at all for nearly two years , tax records in the UK & Sweden will prove this.

I am very willing to pay what i can & wish to continue to defer the remaining amount however Honours Student Loans do not seem to be in the least bit sympathetic & despite me being honest enough to contact them giving them a contact address 'get the money' seems to be their motto.

What are my options? & what is the worst they can do to me if I simply cannot afford to pay the amount they are ordering me to pay?

Thanks in advance.:)

Well having read the input on this forum it seems a S.A.R is the first option?

I'm pretty sure I requested copies of my original contract years ago when I suddenly found out 2 thirds of my loan had been sold to HSL's. I was not informed at the time & I presume this was the case for everyone else with a pre 99 loan so questioned the legality of this.

Needless to say I did not recieve copies of the contracts & I would be interested to know if they have record of this request in their correspondance files.

I would also send a Consumer Credit Act request to both SLC and HSL. This will also consolidate what is going on with the loans.

Start EVERY letter with "this account is now in dispute" in realy big capital letters, send everything by recorded delivery (otherwise they "lose" things, like your previous correspondence) and don't forget your £1 fees for the |CCA.

Then, after you have your info from them, pursue them to return the unlawful charges.

Taking control back is liberating. And fun!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I would also send a Consumer Credit Act request to both SLC and HSL. This will also consolidate what is going on with the loans.

Start EVERY letter with "this account is now in dispute" in realy big capital letters, send everything by recorded delivery (otherwise they "lose" things, like your previous correspondence) and don't forget your £1 fees for the |CCA.

Then, after you have your info from them, pursue them to return the unlawful charges.

Taking control back is liberating. And fun!

Thanks I'll certainly consider it.

I have a feeling i'm going to have a lot of charges on my accounts, they will no doubt resend me a copy of the default notice to my current address despite the fact that I've already called them aknowledging this & offered to make amends via payment.:-|

If you look on the debt section of the board, they have a budget breakdown sheet, which you fill in and send to them with an offer of what you can afford to pay them each month. A trip to the CAB might also help.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .