Fixed Penalty notice 151 unnecessary obstruction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Wife parked her car half on/off pavement (no single/double yellows ) on a dropped kerb,Officer on a mountain bike could'nt ride past so issued a Penalty notice 151 unnecessary obstruction(he should'nt of been riding on the pavement !)to 6 cars.

On the ticket he has written the wrong street,he has wrote Simpson street,but its not ! its McKean street (the road changes from simpson street !).

Is this an invalid ticket ?

If you don't want to pay it, then all you can do is challenge it and hope that the summons maintains the error.

What you must not do is tell them why you are challenging it until you are in the courtroom.

• 2 years later...

I am a courier and was given a fixed penalty notice for failure to wear a seatbelt, I had just finished a delivery and was on to my next one which was roughly about 100 metres away, I have noticed that the policeman in charge did not spell my middle name right even though I gave him my driving licence and there is another mistake in my first line of my address, all his zeros have a line through them but in writing 10a it looks like ion can I contest this and win it in court on the grounds the office made two errors

If he has made a mistake on your address, is it the kind of mistake that will mean the paperwork won't get to you?

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Even though he has clearly written my middle name wrong, I was under the impression that important things like my name had to be done right.

That is a mistaken assumption. How ? you know you got the FPN and who you are. There is no material disadvantage to you. See Bernie's post above.

Even though he has clearly written my middle name wrong, I was under the impression that important things like my name had to be done right.

Not at all.

An FPN is simply a piece of paper that is handed to you that gives you the option of admitting the offence and receiving a fixed penalty without the time and costs associated for everybody to go to Court.

If you wish to contest the matter, they you must elect to do so and the FPN will be voided and a Court Summons issued. Even this summons need not be entirely accurate because of the existence of the 'Slip Rule'; which allows for minor corrections by the Court.

BTW, the specific exemption in the seatbelt law for deliveries, etc, refers to journeys of less than 50 metres.

In my experience, local magistrates will not be impressed at all if you try to dispute challange due to a minor typo on the summons.

Assuming you are found guilty, you will probably end up with CPS costs added to any fine for such a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your advice, as a delivery driver I am always under the threat of receiving tickets, and if I can beat then, I will always try.

Another quick question. I received a PCN for entering Laystall street EC1 at 15.01, there are restrictions in place for entry which are no entry between 08.30-16.30 unless loading or disable parking.

I had agreed to meet one of the sales reps there and hand over a sample which I had on the passenger side,as I entered the street I was captured on CCTV at 15.01.17.

I stopped for about two seconds to hand over the sample through the driver's window, I still had the engine running, as deadlines are a part of my job and I needed to get to N1 for an important delivery.

My argument is that I unloaded a delivery item but did it in the space of two seconds, the exit camera has me coming out at 15.01.26, the street is short and I believe the only thing I was guilty of was excessive speed in entering, stopping with the engine running,handing over the sample and accelerating off.

Do I have grounds for appeal, I have done this on many occasions, I did not need to stop the van and cut the engine as it was only a small sample.

Your advice will be very much appreciated

Thank you very much for your advice, as a delivery driver I am always under the threat of receiving tickets, and if I can beat then, I will always try.

Another quick question. I received a PCN for entering Laystall street EC1 at 15.01, there are restrictions in place for entry which are no entry between 08.30-16.30 unless loading or disable parking.

I had agreed to meet one of the sales reps there and hand over a sample which I had on the passenger side,as I entered the street I was captured on CCTV at 15.01.17.

I stopped for about two seconds to hand over the sample through the driver's window, I still had the engine running, as deadlines are a part of my job and I needed to get to N1 for an important delivery.

My argument is that I unloaded a delivery item but did it in the space of two seconds, the exit camera has me coming out at 15.01.26, the street is short and I believe the only thing I was guilty of was excessive speed in entering, stopping with the engine running,handing over the sample and accelerating off.

Do I have grounds for appeal, I have done this on many occasions, I did not need to stop the van and cut the engine as it was only a small sample.

Your advice will be very much appreciated

Giving someone an item through the window is not unloading.

• 4 weeks later...

I was given a ticket in Stoney street SE1 for parking on double yellow lines, I have noticed that the no unloading/loading sign was situated in a different street, also the double yellow lines were broken and not clearly marked, do I have grounds to contest

I was given a ticket in Stoney street SE1 for parking on double yellow lines, I have noticed that the no unloading/loading sign was situated in a different street, also the double yellow lines were broken and not clearly marked, do I have grounds to contest

The time plate relates to the length of yellow line not the street so it is possible they can legally be around the corner as long as they are the correct distance apart. As for the worn lines it depends on how worn they are adjudicators have gone both ways depending on how clear they are.