SLC advice - help please!

MDTyKe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

Im doing an honors degree, and currently have a loan out each year with SLC. The degree is 4 years; currently entering into my 3rd. I've got around £3000 a year from a loan (maintanence only).

I'm planning to become self employed. My perceptions were, that after I finish college, then, and only then, will my repayments begin - BUT only if I earn over the £15k threshold.

Now, after reading these forums, I'm getting a little bit worried. I'm hearing of "arrears" (which I dont actually know what they mean), and countless problems.

Should I continue these loans? I'm not sure what to do now.. it's building up (i'm not really worried, as I'm considering it as a very small mortgage), and I hope to repay it as soon as humanly possible! :)

Any implications/problems I should look out for?

Matt

Arrears are created when, due to deferment not being taken up or repayments are unable to be taken from the account, the SLC adds the value of each missed repayment to the account.

It is a nasty system, which penalises those who can least afford it.

The SLC are a law unto themselves. I have now won a court claim against them.

My advice is to use the problems people are listing here as a warning.

If you are financially able not to increase your debt to the SLC thats fine, but don't put yourself through hardship if you need the money. Learn from our mistakes- always send post to the SLC by recorded or special delivery, never miss a deferment date, and if they are penalising you in the future with charges, fight to get them removed.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Do I, however, have to make the repayments back if I'm not working or earning

I thought they took it out of wages via PAYE, which is why I'm confused how the money can't be taken from them.

Note: I'll be self-employed, and filling out assessment, but that's besides the point.

Matt

SLC will contact you about January about repayments. If you are earining less that the threshold, fill in the deferment form and include evidence about your earnings. If youre going self-employed get your accountant to provide this to you.