Discriminating against over 25s students... GRRR!

sazz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Long time no speaky! Been mucho busy at university and I am now on my well deserved hols :) yay!! This is something I have had a problem with for many years, not just since I became a 'mature student'.

The bus company where I live and Network Rail do student travel discount but it only applies to students who are 25 and under. In my view and the Age Discrimination Act, surely this is unlawful?

I travel from Edinburgh to Glasgow using the Young Persons Railcard which sets me back at £6.60 return. The railcard is not a student perk as such, but it's HEAVILY touted as a student card. The buses also have a student Ridacard which gives you around £60 a year off travel, but again, under 25's only. The bus Ridacard is SPECIFICALLY a student card, unlike the railcard which is for 'Young Persons'.

When I go back to uni after the summer (summer?!) it's going to cost me almost £12 a return to get there five days a week. As SAAS only pay up to around £1100 for travel expenses, the whole amount isn't covered as it is, let alone when I go back which is going to eat even more into my disability benefits. As a disabled student, the coach isn't really an option due to mobility problems although it'll be mucho cheaper for me at only £4.20 a return.

I am contemplating a few letters to both Network Rail and the bus company (although I don't personally use the buses in querstion), just to see what they have to say. Any advice before I send some stinking legal letters off?

Nice to be back guys! Hope you're all well!

Sarah :D

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a university and a lot of mature students come to me for their form for a young persons railcard to be stamped and verified as to their student basis. Why can't you get your form stamped by your admin office at your unit?

August 06- S.A.R. handed into a Halifax Branch

Sept 06 statements received and first letter sent requesting repayment of charges totalling £3,90

beginning Oct 06 received phone call offering £1,397, said would accept as interim payment andLBA letter sent same day

mid Oct 06 MCOL submitted online

end Oct 06 paid in full including interest and court fee - £4,980!

Sorry should say uni and not unit.

August 06- S.A.R. handed into a Halifax Branch

Sept 06 statements received and first letter sent requesting repayment of charges totalling £3,90

beginning Oct 06 received phone call offering £1,397, said would accept as interim payment andLBA letter sent same day

mid Oct 06 MCOL submitted online

end Oct 06 paid in full including interest and court fee - £4,980!

I posted a similar thing about this (but with buses) on a law forum, specifically asking if it is a form of age discrimination. Unfortunately, legislation does not cover consumers in these circumstances. companies can chose whatever age they want.

I will soon be starting a petition.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, there is no legislation at present preventing discrimination on the basis of age for access to goods and services, so I have no idea where you've got the notion of an Age Discrimination Act from?...

Dave

Here to help!

Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!

Hi

I'm a mature student at uni with a disability and another option is you might be able to claim extra under the DSA - disabled students allowance. I don't know if you have tried this route. I have my own car so don't use the bus very much but I thought this might be an option.

Dee