Dryer from Comet (with insurance for 5 years)

shaniannie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In the Summer of 2004 we bought a Hotpoint tumble dryer, with the extended 5 year insurance thingy, which cost us about £50 extra. As we (then) had 2 children (we now have 3) I knew the dryer was going to be used a fair bit so I needed to know I'd have a working dryer and not have to fork out for a new one.

All was fine for the first 18 months, but after that it was making noises, the timer running down 120 mins in 3 mins, the list goes on and on...

A few weeks ago I called them out for the FIFTH time in less than 18 months, pretty much always the same parts (timer being the main one). The engineer has always been great, bless him, he does what he's told and I know he hasn't any clout to give me a replacement, only do his job and fix my machine (it's not his fault this dryer has known faults and the parts are $h1tE! )

All phone calls to them to try and get them to replace the machine have failed. The call centre tells me it's up to the engineer and the parts people, the engineer and the parts people tell me it's up to the call centre...

Now, FIVE times I've had to accept a repair, and it's broken down each time. This last time there was a list as long as my arm needing fitting. I'm just waiting for the next time (or actually, the engineer told me to call them again in a few weeks regardless, as it'll be him that comes out - he TOTALLY sympathises with us :eek: ).

I guess I just want to know where I stand with all this. Am I within my rights to ask (or demand) a replacement should it break down again? I'm thinking I am, as I did report the problem when the machine was 18 months old and as of yet, the fault keeps happening even with new parts.

Also, if I get the fob off if I am entitled to a replacement (I still have 2 years left on the insurance by the way) how do I go about it? Everyone I speak to say they can't help me, and at those times the most important thing for me is to get a working dryer!!!

Any help/suggestions is appreciated :)

Thanks for replying :)

As far as I can remember, it was by debit card. We still have the original receipt and original 5 year insurance certificate somewhere too.

My partner (who works at PC World - don't say a word :p he's actually the exception to the rule in that place ;) ) was the one on the phone to them this last time and phoned a few different numbers he was given (passed from pillar to post) and all they could say was "We have to have an engineer come to inspect it, before that we can do nothing". So the engineer came, confirmed it was the same parts broken (AGAIN!) but they still didn't replace it.

I guess some blame lies on us as we didn't phone them up to chase them, I just wanted a dryer working! lol But I guess should it break down again (and I'm almost tempted to do what the engineer told me to - phone up and say its broken regardless, but knowing the dryer, it will certainly break anyway) I will demand a new dryer :)