The rip Renault car key...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was going to post this in the vehicle section but it doesn't seem like people go there all that often and this is more of a theoretical question whici popped into my mind.

I drive a Renault car which is a little old and it has a really good immobilizer. so good that without the key you cannot start the car, or indeed if the battery needs chaging and you don't manage it in ten seconds the key loses its code. You can only get a new key from Renualt and the last time I did this it cost in the region of £150. This does not seem reasonable to me, for example there was a key coding fee of about £30 and a friend who works in the trade said this is a very taxing process which invovles pointing the key at the sensor and pressing the button.

I don't really think I would get anywhere but I was just wondering if this was reasonable?

My ex had the car before me and she needed a key too (her mum threw it out!). They have a service where they change the battery for about £12 but its not guaranteed which seems a bit shoddy.

I was also wondering if other manufactureres have similar tricks? I mean what is your choice? The car will not move. The first time it happened the smarmy person at Reg Vardys said we cna arrange to tow the car here, and I thought I bet you can - I had just seen him flog a pair of wipers for £17 odd quid EACH PLUS VAT to a lady. The best set in HAlford were less than £20 at the time.

Can I kick up a fuss over this? I mean they've got you over a barrel. I quite like getting money out of companies...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

sadly im not into renault only vauxhall

but i can do my keys with a little help from a nice source

i'll have a look at the website forum i use and see if they have a ranault section

cause being an older model it bound to be crackable.

if i do i'll pm you

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

but lets be a little more realistic- twenty years ago you could have a key for lets say a ford capri, and with a little juggling and messing it would get you into most ford cars, and if the ignition barrel was worn enough even start and drive away.

now keys are more complicated for this very reason.

i can read a ford key number very easily and cut it, however even though that key would get me in a car it would not let me drive it away, hence the anti theft element that keeps insurance down to less than it was in the early nineties, and less people killing and maiming on our streets in stolen cars.

ok they are very pricey but it reduces the risk overall wouldnt you agree

Hi.

I had the same problem with my key for an 'R' reg Mondeo. Only had the red key (Which is the main one) and Ford wanted £50 for a key, but said I had to buy 2 at once and then a futher £100 to code it!!! The £100 was for an hours labour, but I work for a VW garage and I know it only takes about 20 mins (if that) - even I can do it with the computer! So after a little researching on t'internet and a very helpful man at Ford parts dept I bought a remote key & programmed it myself - very proud (Girly!)

I had a SEAT Arosa and lost the main key with the alarm/remote central locking buttons on. I was left with the spare key and had to open the central locking by actually turning the key in the lock.

So, I bought a used alarm fob, a blank key and a set of diy programming instructions from ebay, had a copy of my key cut and glued it all together and voila! Beep Beep again!! :D

Not bad either for a girly! ;)

Renault megane, RT P reg (1996).

My point was not that the secutriy measures are not necessary, I accept that, my point is they have you over a barrel and are ripping you off.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Need a bit more info. Does the key have remote locking and if it does inside the key where you put the battery there should be a number usually on a paper tag with 5 6 7 or 8 numbers. Only the ones with 8 numbers can be reprogrammed without diagnostic equipment. If the key has no remote locking and only contains a transponder chip for the immobiliser again unfortunately you need diagnostic equipment.

If it is a remote key with 8 numbers let me know and I can let you have programing info.

I really REALLY don't want the key since if anything goes wrong I need to tow the car and buy another one. Reg Vardy is under a different name now (I believe they were bought) so I'm going to try my luck with a letter. Sometihng along the lines of asking how they justify the cost, pointing out that I'm going to drive thie car until it breaks, and that I would very much like another Renault but not if I will be ripped off.

Doesn't it ssem unfair to others that manufactureres have you over a barrel? Doesn't a charge for a service have to be reasonanble?

The car does have remote central locking, and all I have is the key, any bits of paper were lost long ago...

Not with my car, I tried the last time I needed one, apparently the immobiliser is part of the engine and you cannot get round it.

This is why I am so frustrated, they can charge what they like and I feel they should have to justify these charges.

I'm going to write a letter, you never know...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lets put this in it's place, it's not the dealer ripping you off it's Renault, they charge the dealer £95 for the key code and the dealer charges you for the reprogramming at the hourly labour rate. Common trick from Renault is not to part with key codes on what is called dialogue, ie u type in vehicle reg no and u pull up all details about the car, apart from key code which is always blanked out.

Well I want to send a letter to someone as this sort of thing rubs me up the wrong way. Where is your choice as a consumer? And lets be honest how am I supposed to know who's ripping me off given that I am not an expert? Thanks for the input though, always good to learn something new... lol

I dont work for renault now m8 or I could have got you the code for around 12 quid as there are ways and means in getting these things, the 12 quid btw isnt what you would pay me, so am not [causing problems], but you can also get the code via some lets say not so legit garages.

All I know is my car will not start if the key breaks as in the battery runs out (you have like ten secs to change it).

I'm going to send a letter for daft asking them to justify the cost, I want a new car but don't like being ripped off etc etc... Will have to elsewhere with my hard earned...