• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ukseroxat Vs Barclays ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

Looking for help please

I have followed the usual procedure ie

preliminary approach letter

Letter Before Action

moneyclaim website ect

and not surprisingly Barclays produced a defence

Then on the 17th may i received notification that the claim was transferred to my local court in Hull.

Stating the filing of an allocation questionnaire be dispensed with in this case unless the District Judge at the court of transfer orders otherwise.

A letter I received this morning however Dated 30 May which is where my problem lies.

It reads

“General Form of Judgment or Order

Upon the courts own motion the Court has made this order of its own initiative without a hearing.

If you object to this order, you must make an application to have it set aside, varied or stayed within 7 days of receiving it.

IT IS ORDERED THAT

This matter to be listed on 4th July 2007 at 3.00pm to consider striking out the claim disclosing no reasonable prospect of success in the light of the recent decision of Berwick v Lloyds TSB 15 May 07'.

I have managed to find this link on the site

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/17065-application-removal-stay.html

I understand I have to apply for a removal of stay is this correct ?

If this is the case I have no idea how to adapt it to my personal claim.

It also states I need a N244 form which should be in the templates library but i am unable to find it.

Also I believe I need Barclays Term & Conditions from when I opened my account?

I have looked on their site but cannot seem to find these either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

THANK YOU

It also states I need a N244 form which should be in the templates library but i am unable to find it.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/FormFinder.do

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Contact Barclays Litigation team contact details can be found here ... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/94602-barclays-litigation-team-good.html

Tell them you have a court date and ask who is dealing with your claim

I have barclays T&C's from 1996 if thats any good to you )

Its the 1st time i nave seen this type of judgement order so you may want to pm a mod for help with it

Firstly thank you for your quick response

I have now downloaded the N244 and emailed the BBC (thank you Dar£n)

I have contacted the Litigation team but they are getting back to me as they are very busy at the moment (!) (Thanks saintly_1)

Sorry to be a pain but I have no idea what "pm a mod" means and can't find it in any of the search/help.

I guess it means Private Message to Moderator but I can't seem to find who I send too.

Found a list of members link but it was removed.

Apologies I'm new to this Forum Stuff !

I have no idea what "pm a mod" means and can't find it in any of the search/help.

I guess it means Private Message to Moderator but I can't seem to find who I send too.

See youre not that bad..

see here for a list of who is online, [at the very bottom of the page]

the Moderators, Site Helpers and Admin are highlighted:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

Ah seems MSE & CAG are working together on this so we are all friends together then :)

It seems you guys may get a lawyer to fight this for you.

Just want to wish you all the luck in the world :):)

Just to let you know the present situation.

I have send all documents to a moderator who is looking to arrange a response to these orders.

Thank you again for all your advice/support.

• 3 weeks later...

While awaiting the HULL 4th July Court Hearing I have received an offer of settlement from Barclay's (which is for the full amount plus interest and costs)

Here is a copy below.

Also (after advice from Bankfodder) below that is a response from myself refusing under the conditions they are enforcing.

OFFER FROM BARCLAY'S

12 June 2007

Barclays Legal & Compliance Litigation & Disputes

Level 29

One Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

Our Ref: TH

Tel (+44) 020 7116 4523

Fax 01452 638 479

Without Prejudice

Dear Mr X

Claim against Barclays Bank PLC,

Kingston-upon-Hull County Court Claim Number:XXXXXXXX

I refer to the above proceedings.

As you will have seen from our defense, we disagree with your legal analysis that the charges levied to your account with Barclays amount to penalty clauses and are unfair. We do, however, recognise that it is not cost effective for either party to take this matter all the way to trial, particularly bearing in mind the interlocutory hearing scheduled for 4th July. Therefore, in order to avoid the inevitable time and cost associated with pursuing the claim to trial, we are prepared to settle your claim upon payment of the charges applied to your account, together with statutory interest and any court costs, which comes to £XXX.XX, subject to the terms set out in this letter.

This offer to pay £XXX.XX is in full and final settlement of the whole of your claim and is strictly without any admission of liability on our part. By accepting this offer, you also agree that the existence and the terms of this offer remain confidential between us.

If you agree to the terms of this letter, please sign and return a signed copy of this letter to me (by fax, email or post) at the above address within the next 7 days. You will also need to notify the County Court, in writing, that you have discontinued your claim against us. Please forward a copy of your letter to the Court after you return a signed copy of this letter to us. Payment of this sum will be made to your Barclays account.

Should you decide to reject the Bank's offer, we reserve the right to disclose this letter to the Court on the subject of costs.

MY RESPONSE

17/06/2007

Thomas Hickey

Barclays Legal & Compliance

Litigation & Disputes

Level 29

One Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

Your Ref: TH

Dear Mr Hickey

Claim against Barclays Bank PLC, Kingston upon Hull County Court

Claim Number: XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your offer 12th June 2007 but I feel I cannot accept under the conditions you are enforcing and am more than happy to go all the way into court if you do not refund my money unconditionally.

I notice that you are threatening to disclose my refusal of this offer to the court on the basis that this may prejudice me as to costs.

You are in effect i believe making me a Part 36 offer but as you must be fully aware Part 36 is not applicable to small claims and therefore you Part 36 offer is abusive, intimidatory and dishonest.

I can tell you that I am sending a copy of your offer letter and this response to the Judge in Hull and also to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

This kind of behaviour by you is further evidence of the underhand tactics practised by you and your clients and which we read about almost every day in the press.

I shall also be publishing the contents of your letter and my response on the Consumer Action Group website so that thousand of others can be warned.

I suggest you send me my money in order to avoid an embarrassing defeat in court.

Yours Sincerely

I will be sending this Monday and see what happens.

Just a pedantic formality..

As they have put 'without prejudice' on THEIR letter

Put it in YOURS too.

Also, shouldnt your ref to part 36 be - "part 36 of Rule 27.2 (1b)" ?

>>

Without prejudice

Definition

The basic meaning is 'without loss of any rights'. It is a term used when two parties are in dispute, and one makes a settlement offer to the other. It puts 'without prejudice' on its offer to make it clear that the settlement offer should not be construed as a waiver of rights. Importantly, communication marked 'without prejudice' cannot be used in evidence in court proceedings if the attempts at settlement fail and the dispute comes to court.

Thanks for your responses.

Good point I will put "without prejudice" on mine thanks for that.

The Part 36 was as dictated on the telephone by Bankfodder.

I had a quick "google" to see what it was about but to be honest was totally out of my depth.

If you are sure that is correct I will change it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks for your responses.

Good point I will put "without prejudice" on mine thanks for that.

The Part 36 was as dictated on the telephone by Bankfodder.

I had a quick "google" to see what it was about but to be honest was totally out of my depth.

If you are sure that is correct I will change it.

Any help appreciated.

If you have ANY doubts, leave it out, and reword it, if you cannot argue it if needed do not use it...

what you could do is use THEIRs and simply strike through what you dont agree with and amend as necessary. [initial any changes]

• 3 weeks later...

I have received a 2nd offer of settlement from the Barclay's Litigation Team.

They have apologised for the 1st settlement offer “not drafted in the most conciliatory manner” and have agreed to the deletion of the confidentiality clause.

With theses concessions I feel there is nothing left to to gain as the settlement is for the full amount and the problems with the 1st settlement offer have been met.

I have therefore agreed to settle.I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for there help and guidance it has been most appreciated.

As soon as the funds clear I will be making a contribution to the Consumer Action Group.

Thank You again.

Looks like Congrats all round. Well done

Regards, Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 months later...