Sale of Goods and Services Act and EDF New Connection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for some information relating to sale of goods and services act and utility companys when they instal new conections.

I was recently charged £1100 for EDF to dig a meter square hole a meter deep (in the pavment outside my house) and fit 1.2 meters of cable to a meter point, in addition to this I was "forced" to provide a road closure which has cost around another £1200. which according to the guys that did the work, was not needed.

If i'd gone through EDF it would have cost £2500 for for the road closure on it's own, So I organised the road closure through the local council, I have written to EDF and asked for a refund of part of the costs of the road closure (50%) as a gesture of good will as Their contractor and then 2 other inspectors said after the work was done, that although the road was narrow and as the work was done on the pavment and not the road and that the road was hardly used and unsuitable for large (bigger than a transit) vehicles there was no need for the closure. They refused point blank

The Engineering manager refused to book the work in to be done until I had provided proof that the road closure had been ordered.

To my point then, would £1100 be deemed unfair for the "service provided" taking into account that this work CAN NOT be done by anyone other than EDF or through them by thier appointed engineers.

Would it be woth my while requesting a partial refund of costs ??

I'm not a total cheapskate and want everything for nothing, look at my homepage (in my profile), The power was dissconected in 2003 after a fire that Directline did not settle, so I have had to spend all my savings and nearly 2 years of my life rebuilding my house, and every penny counts.

On the other side of the coin Southern Gas networks charged me a total of £228 to dig 2 large holes (one was the EDF hole dug out again) and one in the road and a large trench and used a moling machine to instal a new gas supply, and did not require a road closure.