UMPS vs MBNA

umps
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Sent my SAR and duly recieved statements. My MBNA account was opened as a student in 1998 and has only ever had a credit limit of £350. However the charges add up to nearly £2000 as they constantly gave me over limit fees of £25 and Late payment of £25 even though the minimum payment was only £24. As a result....they have made a fortune.

Had my statements through with the usual blurb (we stand by our charges etc...They state that MBNA disagree with the OFT ruling!!) and they have said they are sending me a cheque for £660 within the next 10 days!!!!

Help...Do I send it back? Do I cash it as part payment??? Do I send an LBA for the amount minus £660 or ignore it and send the LBA for the full amount???

Any help appreciated!!

Cheers

Andy (umps)

PLEASE HELP!!

Had a cheque today from MBNA 'with compliments' for £660. Do I just hold on to it or cash it as part payment and send a request for payment of the rest???

I'm in the same position as you with MBNA so hopefully someone will come along and give us some advice. Personally I'd like to keep the cheque and claim for the rest as I could do with the money now but not sure if thats the right thing to do.

SO PLEASE HELP US BOTH!!!!!

Well, I'm still quite new to this myself, but I wouldn't - yet!! I think you need to write back (or email) and thank them for their kind gesture :rolleyes: and politely inform them that you are happy to accept the payment as partial settlement and that you still intend to claim the oustanding amount back. My worry is that if you cash it and say nothing, you might lose out. Once they acknowledge that, I'd cash it!! :D Good luck!! Dizzy

That sounds ok but I'm due to file my N1 claim today. Umps, you got your cheque today, I got my letter telling me about it coming in ten days today so not sure wether to claim whole amount on N1 or wait for cheque and wait for reply which could drag it out another month! What are you planning to do?

Just a thought :-| , but if you email them, 'technically', they'll recieve it today. Its not your fault that it has to go round 20 departments before it gets to the right person :rolleyes: !! They should send you out an automatic acknowledgement of receipt though.I presume that you can then file your N1 today minus the amount you have accepted as part payment. Where are all the knowledgable ones when you need 'em??:lol:

Hi Folks,

Have made a decision!!

I have sent my request for payment today (bearing in mind I got my cheque for £660 without doing anything. all I did was send a SAR!!0 They owe me £1981 in total!!!

I sent my payment request, thanked them for the cheque and said I would not be cashing it at present. I also said the amount I was claiming was for the total (1981) not the amount minus the cheque as I wasn't cashing it yet.

Will keep you informed.

umps

did you add interest to your claim ? mine was for 1850 charges from 2001 to 2003 then i added 15.9% intrest and it came to £4922.44. so its well worth the hassle of working it all out .

p.s ive just phoned there advocates off to decline there 900 quid good will and told them to come back with more money ha ha

• 1 month later...

Due to file MCOL with MBNA as had no response from them. Is it worth contacting them first by letter or phone as most people seem to recieve settlement before they file MCOL and if I can avoid this I would prefer to.