Abbey Sneaky Tactics - advice needed...

Martha_k
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Firstly I would just like to say thanks to all who post on this forum, it has been a fantastic help since we first sent out S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter to Abbey in January.

We have been to-ing and fro-ing since then and have been offered £865 as a GOGW, against a claim of £4500. We have the letters confirming their offer and have written back to say we will accept this only as a part settlement and are still filing for the full amount.

The letters we received said that the money would be credited to our account within 10 working days and that was back in April. They credited £725 immediately, but have since been playing what we think are sneaky tactics. We have been charged further fees twice since we received the letters and each time the charges have been refunded immediately. We have now filed with the small claims court and are awaiting Abbey's response (they have until end May).

My questions is...do we have to take these reversed charges into account when claiming our money back? I am a bit confused as to how to handle it - and I think this is what they want.

Because they are reversing charges that have come out over the last few weeks, they aren't actually giving us anything back at all and I'm not sure how to play it. Are we better to accept these reversals as part of the gogw they offered and then claim again once everything is settled (as we have been charged consistently every month this year) or should I disregard these reversals and go for the full amount we requested less the GOW they have already paid.

I hope this makes sense and I'm sorry for the lengthy post.

Many Thanks in advance

Hayley

• Haha 1

Guest strangewayofsavin

if like you say the charges are being reversed (refunded back to the account) then you cannot claim them, personally I would continue your claim, and put in a 2nd claim afterwards for any extra charges.

With the good will gesture thing, Abbey have a sucker punch sometimes, and what they have done in the past is this, they offer you say £850 as a gogw on a claim of £3500, you accept as part payment and continue with your ammended court claim, nearer the court date they send a letter stating as a final settlement they will offer you £2500, you think well £2500 + the £850 = £3350, I don't really want to goto court so I will except, you sign the paper and return it to Abbey, they then send you a cheque for £1650, as £1650 + £850 = £2500, they get away with £1000, so be on your guard and good luck, with me Abbey settled 3 days before the court date.:grin:

...Because they are reversing charges that have come out over the last few weeks, they aren't actually giving us anything back at all and I'm not sure how to play it. Are we better to accept these reversals as part of the gogw they offered and then claim again once everything is settled (as we have been charged consistently every month this year) or should I disregard these reversals and go for the full amount we requested less the GOW they have already paid.

I hope this makes sense and I'm sorry for the lengthy post.

Many Thanks in advance

Hayley

This is really interesting Martha; we've had exactly the same thing happen, made a WOP acceptance of £500ish & continued with our claim saying that we would deduct the difference once they specified what the charges were. Only problem is we still don't know which were the future charges & which were refunds of past ones. Really reluctant to donk any money off the claim if they aren't going to be open about this, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Now at AQ stage (super scary Abbey bashing version!) & waiting to hear back, really don't want any hitches.

Glad others have experienced this...any advice gratefully accepted!

Good luck with your claim:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/88172-shoe-em-abbey.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Emily x