• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

diverse99 v The Woolwich

diverse99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Well I am new here, but here goes, today I have sent my first letter to the Woolwich asking for copies of my statments and Bank Charges, after reading some of the posts, I will send to the Data Protection Address as it seems people are getting a better response.

Will keep you all posted

A) Data Disclosure Letter Sent 11th May 2007

Guest ChloeJane

Hi there!

Just a quick hello to say your decision to send to the Data Protection Address is a good one.

It means no delays! It is right on their doorstep to handle.

Hope you added the £10 with the letter - but am sure you did as you have appeared to read up.

If you don't receive a response within 40 days, then post back here and advice can be given of what to do next.

A link to the process and great links to speadsheets and what you can and can't claim when you get your statements back is here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html?garpg=6

All the best with your claim.

CJ

Just to update you on here, i see from looking at WelshCakes post, that he or she got a reply using the following address for the Woolwich, this is where I am sending my request for data, as we all now know that Woolwich is part of the Barclays Bank Group.

Peter Townsend

Barclays Data Protection

Barclays Bank Plc

Radbroke Hall

Knutshall

Cheshire WA16 9EU:lol:

Hi there!

Just a quick hello to say your decision to send to the Data Protection Address is a good one.

It means no delays! It is right on their doorstep to handle.

Hope you added the £10 with the letter - but am sure you did as you have appeared to read up.

If you don't receive a response within 40 days, then post back here and advice can be given of what to do next.

A link to the process and great links to speadsheets and what you can and can't claim when you get your statements back is here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html?garpg=6

All the best with your claim.

CJ

Many thanks for you reply to my posting, it is really very exciting and its like waiting for Christmas Day to arrive all over again. This wesite has a wealth of info and it is amazing. I have reffered to other people here today, and should I win any of my case, I will certainly be making a donation to the site.

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Today I received a letter from the Woolwich, on there openplan headed paper, and all that was on it was my address, and a reference number and enclosed was my original postal order for £10 for my S.A.R.

Strange I thought, so i rang them and the response was that he couldn't understand why it was not explained in my letter but they will be sending a list of my charges on my account in the next couple of weeks and should be here by the 14th June and that I did not need to pay the 10.00 as this was free.

So at least my request has been logged, but strange.

At the same time i sent a 10.00 request for my Barclays Statements but have not heard out back there

Well see what happens

Barclays take a wee bit longer. You will probably get some statements going back to 2004 with a letter saying that due to the other stuff you want being stored on microfiche it will take a bit longer. But eventually the statements do turn up. You could always do a polite nudge letter enclosing your original SAR and state that if you have not received the info by xx.xx.07 you will complain to the information commissioners and take them to court in order to obtian your info.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Well I had sent them a kind of a blunt email asking why they had sent my cheque back with no explanation, today I received an email saying they had past it threw to the correct department that is dealing with my case.

What case I only asked for my statemets...:evil:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had no response to my email of which i was told it was forwarded onto the department concerned. I will chase up tommorrow.

But I did receive a letter saying that

" we are writing to inform you that your account was in excess of any agreed credit limit last month. As a result, and administration fee of £93.00 will be charged.

Accounts which are overdrawn without prior arrangements will be charged £3.00 per day (7days a week) until they return to credit within an agreed limit. These fees will be notified to you shortly after the end of the month. "

Are they bloody mad, they know I have a complaint in hand and they still send me letters, oh well add it to the other charges and claim back.

I have 2 claims on the boil, a sole and a jint account with Woolwich.

My sole (local court) has been acknowledged by Barclayss.

The joint, I have filed online with MCOL for costs as 6 months down the line, still no list of charges. I submitted complaint to ICO same time and Andrew Miskell from Barclays Data Protection has been very quick to respond to the ICO complaint however he was at pains to point out that it was in fact my fault because I hadn't provided the info required to trace the account. The info he detailed as being required was however provided to Peter Townsend in my SAR request.

I really can't be bothered to keep going to post office to send registered replies so I now email Barclays and in fact used email for my rather direct response to A Miskell (and to attach a copy of the letter to P Townsend back in Feb).

Barclays will normally acknowledge receipt of your email same day however I am not holding my breathe for A Miskell's attendance to the cook up :D

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Many thanks for your reply, don't sound to good doe's it, I sent mine to Peter Townsend, hopefully may get a response sooner than later , fingers crossed, do you have the email for this chappy you sent, maybe I can chase up

Update.

Well what can I say today I have received three letters from the Woolwich, and here is where we are at.

Letter 1.

Going to charge me £93.00 for being overdrawn and its an administration charge. Do they not know about my complaint , obviously not.

Letter 2

Telling me that, a letter will be coming out from there customer relations department, this will have a list of my charges and a letter. They are sorry they didn't cancel my Direct Debits when asked to many many months ago. They have now done this

Letter 3

Seems to be in response to my letter I sent many months ago asking why they have not cancelled my Direct Debits and you are charging me, also pointing out the fact that this account i do not use now cos it is overdrawn by charges alone.

They have also sent me my list of charges i asked for with my SAR Request, and WITHOUT ME EVEN ASKING THEM TO REFUND THE CHARGES, they have offered me wait for it..... £1266.00 without any admission of liabilty. They have also asked me to sign a letter and they will deposit the funds into my account.

However total charges for my account stands at £1688.00, and of course the £93.00 to go on top with the letter they sent me.

Obviously I want to the full amount and more if I can get it.

Can somebody advise, shall i send them a rejection letter , and also a final letter using the templates for the total amount.

I will look through the templates and see if I can see what I need to do, but I will wait before I send out off in the post to make sure I have it all right

Look forward to any help.

I was wondering if there is anybody that can help with problem i have, am right in thinking that I should send the rejection letter. However I have not sent off a letter stating I want the charges back, I did send my SAR request, of which they sent my 10.00 back and a list of my charges offering only 2/3 of the total amount.

THerefore do i send rejection letter, and a letter to say that I am seeing the full anount, but had to wait until I had the SAR info.

Look forward to any help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi diverse

Send a rejection letter of their poxy offer and incorporate within it the text of the preliminary letter requesting return of £££ (according to your spreadsheet). Basically, you're putting both a rejection and your own official demand of refund in one letter.

You'll have to tidy up the paragraphs a bit to make sure there aren't any obvious repetitions and you'll probably want it to flow well.

Remember to put in any recent charges including the UNAUTH O/D fee in your spreadsheet calculation (this depends as you know on whether you would have been O/D in the absence of the unlawful charges). Print off a copy of the Schedule of Charges and enclose it with the letter - remove the 8% Interest Column for this stage - it doesn't get added until you file a claim.

Very importantly, send it registered. You might like to email a copy of it all as an attachment as an additional insurance that they have got it and cannot deny receiving.

Any worries about what you're sending, come back to the forum and the lovely smarty pants peeps on here can check you're on course :)

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41