Just 18 - but seem to have bad credit rating

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I turned 18 a few weeks ago (15 April) but already seem to have a bad credit rating. Why do I think this? Applied for a credit card - one with Capital One, which was their 30% interest / newbie / no credit history card and was turned down so likewise tried same Barclaycard deal and the same thing again.

I had an account with the Next Directory (but believe no CCA exists as was too young - their big mistake - oops) so wonder if that could be on there? I have a few DDs - TV license etc - as live with my boyfriend but all paid on time. Have written with relevant documents to get credit file (only went on electoral roll a couple of months ago so they can't verify me online) but does anyone else have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bispers, since you just turned 18 last month, you dont really have a credit record yet, since your just registered to vote, it is usually updated twice a year, for my council it is April & December, other councils may be different!

Intro to credit:

(http://tinyurl.com/3bld84)

--

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

Andrew

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!

Thanks. I know I shouldn't have a credit rating but as got turned down for the basic, high interest, just turned 18 credit cards there must be something somewhere preventing me from getting it. IE I fit the exact criteria that the card is designed for.

I've written to the credit report companies this week with the statutory fees and hope to hear back more in the near future. I used annualcreditreport who couldn't get my credit report and they said companies searching for me may have the same issue which could be a reason was declined. The other thing is I moved last October and was only added to the electoral roll about two months ago, and apparently it can take three months for the credit report companies to update their records.

Will update!

Hi bispers.. Believe it or not, Having Credit (credit cards, catalogue accounts etc) actually can improve your credit rating. If you wish to know your credit score you can get it from experian: Credit Expert It'll cost you £4.99, but if you want to know what it is, certainly worth the fiver IMO. Whilst you're there you can also get a free credit report (remember to cancel the trial!) so you can see exactly whats been happening with your credit.

As for the Next Directory.. CCA them and see what they come up with.. If they can't send you a proper copy of the CCA (check threads for assistance on this, lots of knowledge out there) then you can force them to remove the default in full through the courts.

Hope this helps

James.

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton.

Advice offered by MattyH is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt. Please research any information I have offered, as I will not be held liable for any incorrect advice i've given you.

<--------- If my advice has helped, please tip my scales. 8)

For Further advice come into the Chat Room: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/chat/flashchat.php

FAQ's : http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Step By Step Instructions ; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

Thanks Jameshusky....I actually cannot get my credit report online and have already tried with Credit Expert and other companies, hence having to send off these letters.

I have sent Next a CCA Request and yesterday was their last day, see here

I had a letter back from one of the firms yesterday. Basically, I don't seem to exist which seems to be my issue! I've asked my local council for documents confirming I'm on the electoral role and will then send them to the relevant companies and hopefully get this all sorted asap.

Hi bispers, this i what i expected, although you have applied to be added to the electoral register when you were 17, however if by the date your local council updated the electoral register and you were not yet 18, you would not be added to the electoral register until you were 18.

For example your local council updated the electoral register on the 2nd of April and you turned 18 on 3rd of April you would not be added to the electoral register at this time, your application would be deferred until the next update.

However your application would entitle you to vote in the May elections, did you get to vote and did you get the voter card?

If you need a bank account that doee not do credit searches:

(current account without credit check? - Consumer Action Group)

Andrew

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!