BT giving out my personal info to somebody who is not on the account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anybody had before BT giving all your personal info out to somebody who is not even on the account. I live with my partner and although I dont mind my partner knowing everything I was behind on paying the bill and they called home and I was not in. Anyway the guy from BT told my partner how I did not keep up with payments how I was cut off a year ago and that I had bad credit with them and that I was late with this current payment and I had to pay immediately or otherwise I would have a default against me!!!???!!!

Are BT allowed to speak to anybody about your personal data even though they are not on the account?

My partner did not know all of the above so there is no way unless he had been told by the person over the phone that he could no what he told me.

It is all true but I am not sure that I want it broadcast to anybody who picks up the phone to BT.

Is there anyway of stopping them from doing this - Am I legally aloud to complain?:confused:

the first thing they should have done is a data protecton check with her, when they saw her name not on account, or that she does not have any authority to have details of ur account they should have refused to discuss any details with her.

luckily as u say it was ur partner, but they dont know that, its could have been anybody.

definatly make a complaint

BT wil talk to anybody when it suits them but if your partner wanted to talk to THEM about your account they would have been informed it is against the data protection act to discuss your account with them so make a complaint.

When BT contact anyone and vice versa the much have the BT account number and quote it, so in your case you have every right to complain to the Information Commissioner at BT.

You can write, call or email BT but make sure its in writing or recorded in case of any problems later.

Abbey - £1100 - Court 18/05/07 - Won in Full 12/05/07

First Direct - Next (pending as 6+ years)

MBNA - PPI charges - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Started 10/05/07

Thank you for all your help.

I will write a complaint pronto!! I just wanted to find out if they were in breach.

The thing that annoys me is that BT cant even say that the person was trying to impersonate me as the person they were speaking to was Male!!

And my account is in my married name with a Mrs so there is no mistaking that I am female!!

At least I know where I stand now I can give them merry hell!!

Thank you again everybody.:)