Debit card debacle

penguinsmall
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6274 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I spoke to a young chap on the NatWest telephone banking line today. The first question I asked him was "When I use my debit card is the transaction amount deducted from my AVAILABLE balance immediately?"

"Yes." He replied, categorically.

"So how when I paid £39.04 on April 5th did it not come off my available balance immediately when authorisation was requested as it has done in 55 out of 57 cases and you are now sticking me for £66 in charges?"

"Ah well, it doesn't all the time."

"Why not?"

He then put me through to a woman who told me several times that "The company you're paying can take up to 6 months to take payment from your bank." Speaking to me as if I were a small and stupid child. That was not what I was asking, what I was asking is why, when in almost every instance the money has been deducted from my AVAILABLE balance immediately (even though it may not come off the ACTUAL balance for up to 6 days later) has it not occurred on two occasions, both of which have led to me being charged. They did however refund the first lot of charges.

I always check my available balance on the internet before making transactions so that I do not end up with charges. When I pointed this out to one of my branch staff she said I haven't to trust the available balance on the internet. So, if we have to double check everything in case the bank have cocked up, what are they being paid for? I also asked her the same first question as I did the young man on the phone. She too said yes, it did come off the available balance immediately. As soon as I told her what the problem was She also moved the goal posts and even asked me why I didn't learn from the first time it happened.

Guest NATTIE

THis one is a more complicated question. If the company concerned has put through the transaction completely and gone through to gain an authorisation code it is deducted off the account. Not all transactions are specifically authorised but are put through. I did say it was complicated. I have also heard of the 6 calender month rule as well. most companies do put through transactions over a short period of time but it is not always the case.

Hello everyone

On 7th March I had a cleared available balance of £1.24. On 9th March at 5.27pm I made a Solo transaction of 86p at a major retailer. The receipt shows an 8 digit authorisation code.

On 12th March I checked my balance online and it said available balance £1.24. I had forgotten about the 86p transaction and went and made a £1.19 Solo transaction, at 4.55pm, at another major retailer. The receipt shows a 4 digit authorisation code. When I got my statement it said the 86p hadn't gone through to my account until 12th March. I was 81p over my limit. I have been rewarded with a £28 charge.

I also have the letter which the card was glued to when I received it. It says on the back of this letter "You can only spend what you have in your bank account, or up to your agreed limit, so there's no need to worry about borrowing money without our agreement." The little reference number of the letter document is NWB11216 Rev August 04.

Hector, who is about to phone 0208 236 8007

Dear nattie

I know it costs the retailer. I'd have thought Tesco could afford it. So that authorisation code has absolutely nothing whatever to do with Natwest?

And the bit from the letter? What do you think about that? Pretty clear, I'd have thought.

Hector

Guest NATTIE

i have to say my post still does not change only an additional comment in that 9th March was a Friday and the 12th a Tuesday normally 1 to 3 working days to go through the account and.....

I have to say i have not seen the wording on it so i will look out for it. But there are ways to authorise a transaction without actually getting authorised per se. Now are you blaming the bank for this happening? I will save my response for tomorrow.

Guest ritty182

I have just had same thing with my solo card Tesco and Natwest. Spent about £60 in Tesco on Sat and then forgot a few things went back in and got them paid about £20, Checked balance on Monday had £30.60 credit. Took £20 out then checked on Tues and was £10 overdrawn. The £20 from Tesco had only just showed up.

I also have same thing saying its not possible to spend money thats not in your account as each transaction needs authorising at POS.