How long do banks keep your information

nicola
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am very skeptical when I hear that banks apparently only keep info for a limited time.

We know definitely that Abbey has records going back to the 1960s on microfiche and back to 1926 on film.

RBS say that they only keep your statement for 7 yrs. Maybe that is true. However does this mean also that they only keep your records for 7 years? Does it mean that they are unable to produce new statements beyond 7 years? Does it mean that they are unable to let you have a list of your charges in some other forum beyond 7 years?

I am quite sure that the banks are not beyond responding to you in a way which may be very strictly and technically true but which does not actually give you the whole picture.

I think that you have to be very careful about the way you ask your question of them.

Also, this is another reason why you should not do these things on the phone without recording the conversation.

Best to do everything in writing.

I am afraid that in general the banks are not proving themselves to be very trustworthy.

They have taken your money and they don't want to let you have it back.

So if they CAN go back that far and yet they claim they can only go back 7 years and more often than not only supply data back 6 years why are they getting away with it? Who is supposed to be regulating this?

Well I know it's the ICO but why aren't the ICO all over them cos of this?

It annoys the hell out of me!!

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

I'm going to put in writing, they can't say to me they only keep info for 7 years then give someone 15 years worth, they are really making things difficult for me. Already go a court date for Thursday, where they have put in a defence.

Take it from me the ICO is a waste of public money, I've been complaining to the ICO for over 12 months about the RBOS, and have proved to them that the RBOS gave then so much incorrect, untrue info to the point of lies and they still did nothing except say in their opinion the RBOS had breached the First, Fourth, Sixth, & Seventh Principles of the Data Protection Act, and I ended up taking the RBOS to court, the point I making here is the RBOS told the ICO they did not keep records longer than six years and yet on the day before the trial I got a defence bundle that contained my Bank Statements from February 1998 to Decemer 2001, that they had not supplied me under my SDAR information received in May 2006, that I had submitted in December 2005. It took them six months to supply this info and the they deliberately with held this extra info until the day before the court hearing.

They keep them much longer than six years.

Sparkie1723

They tell lies full stop.