• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

stew1275 versus RBOS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner has contacted the FOS with regards the payment that the RBOS say they have made into our account.

There is no sign of it and the FOS say that the bank cannot put it into a closed account.

They also have apperently stated over the phone that we will not get the interest back.

The FOS will get back to us on where the money has gone.

Bit confused to why we shouldn't get the interest on money taken over the 6 years.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we have not contacted the RBOS since their offer and kept everything with the FOS.

The FOS called again 5 minutes after the earlier post above and my partner queried the interest that he had presumed we were after.

Seems he thought we were after interest that the RBOS had took off us for each charge, (I think).

Anyway, he asked if it was the 8% interest to which my partner confirmed and he said ok, he would see what he could do and that we don't need to contact the bank - he will, (very nice man) and we should here back in the next week.

We had included the 8% interest in the complaint form to the FOS under additional information.

Highs and los all round but I have to say it's quite exciting if you know what I mean!

Ok Stew1275 as i was wondering if that was also the case because they shouldnt simply say no to interest.

Keep the thread updated so i know how you get on and as i have said they may tell you they feel it is a fair offer but the choice is yours to continue i feel they hope you accept so as to reduce their workload.

i feel they hope you accept so as to reduce their workload.

Aye thats what I felt, I guess they look on it as money we never thought we would get back so anythings a bonus.:-|

Well, got another offer via the FOS for £200 of the interest, this would be short by £500.

Not sure what to do, a bit dissappointed that it's not the full amount but at least it's in the right direction.

Any views.

Sounds more positive but as stevo says i would also pursue them for the lot, might it be worth you contacting the bank yourself first and asking them to settle first or you will ask the FOS to get involved again because the next time the you tell the FOS you are not accepting this the bank may well be charged by them for a complete investigation into the complaint.

Hope you understood that.:D

Keep us updated.

Have prepared a letter based on stevokenevo (cheers) to go back to the FOS.

We thank you for your letter of the 3rd of July 2007 informing us that the RBOS wish to make us a revised offer.

Again we can accept this offer as part payment of the money removed from our account but not as a final settlement.

We claim 8% compound interest - using the rate and method specified in the contract between the RBOS and us, and applied by the RBOS to monies it is owed.

We seek to be compensated for the RBOS’s unauthorised use of our monies in the terms provided for in the contract, follow the principle advocated by the OFT - in its published guide to The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 - that “fairness and balance require that both parties to a contract are equally bound by it, and equally liable to pay compensation for failure to abide by it.”

Still to decide on whether to go for it or not.

Hear what you're saying Bigmac, don't quite have the guts to try the RBOS direct for fear of speaking crap! hence the letter.

What do you think?

Well we chickened out of contacting the bank (sorry Bigmac) but after heated debate we agreed that we would have one last go at having the offer increased.

Letter sent to FOS as follows.

We thank you for your letter of the 3rd of July 2007 informing us that the RBOS wish to make us a revised offer.

We seek to be compensated for the RBOS’s unauthorised use of our monies in the terms provided for in the contract, follow the principle advocated by the OFT - in its published guide to The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 - that “fairness and balance require that both parties to a contract are equally bound by it, and equally liable to pay compensation for failure to abide by it.”

We appreciate that the RBOS have attempted to reimburse us but again we feel we can not accept this offer as full payment of the money removed from our account.

The fear is that the RBOS can withdraw the offer completely (as confirmed by FOS), so hopefully we are appearing open to a better offer or a full settlement.

We have decided that we will accept the next offer if it is better or in full.

Then we will start again with the next account!

The total charges came to £2460 + £745 interest at 8%.

The first offer was the £2460 only.

Second offer was £2655.

We are now paranoid that the RBOS may dig in and take back the offer.

Why would they as they would need to pay this when being taken to court, that on top of yours and their legal costs it would be a lot higher wouldnt it.

Without personal contact with the bank and only through the FOS this could take some throwing back and forward before being settled, they dont bite honest lol.

Aye, I hope that IS the case.

Does this mean that the FOS are doing their investigation and the RBOS get charged for this?

and

Would there be remote possibility that the RBOS may just pay up now?

Yes and Yes in my opinion.

The whole situation revolves around the issue of interest and as the FOS have said they can award this then i would ask at what situation would it be for this to be the case because i cant see any other that would be more deserving.

You have allowed the bank to settle this within the timelines given by the FSA (8 weeks) They didnt take that oppportunity so why should they avoid paying this interest now when they could and should have settled this a lot earlier.

If you had been taken to court over an allegeed debt to the bank they would request interest.

In your situation i would send a letter to the bank outlining what you require to settle and also reminding them that you expect the FOS to find in your favour and that court action could be started without further notice for the return of said charges and the interest of 8%.

Cheers folks.

Although it has caused a bit of domestic disharmony I feel it is important to push the RBOS (or any bank for that matter) as they would push us.

It seems the banks will try and dominate the proceedings like a control freak, it's laughable that they state they have done no wrong - and then proceed to offer all the charges back with no admission of liability!

Fact - we go overdrawn, we get charged, someone doesn't get paid, bank pays itself the charge, puts us overdrawn, doesn't offer overdraft facility, now have to repay persons not paid, repeat.

Sorry but I can't see where the bank has provided a £30+ service there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, have been in limbo a bit with this case scenario.

Phoned the FOS yesterday after reading some information from their site which anyone using them should look at.

On the bases of what was said we have returned the final offer form as accepted (even if it is outwith the FOS acceptance time). The RBOS may just accept it and pay out or back to limbo land, either way I don't think we have anything to lose.

At least the last offer did include some of the interest.

I would strongly recommend having a look at the FOS updates as to how the later cases could be

handled.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/bankcharges-testcase-quickguide.pdf

Hi Stew1275 if the offer was made before the test case announcement and you havent yet refused it or missed any timeline that was part of the offer then the bank have to honour it.

Shouldnt be a problem and understand why you are now accepting.

Let us know how you get on.