• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PurpleTeddyBear Hubby vs Halifax***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all -

Just *finally* got round to getting myself sorted out and have sent letter requesting schedule of charges (in reality, I am guessing a bundle of statements!) today....and am now patiently (or not) awaiting the 40 days.

One question - my account with Hafilax is overdrawn, and seems to be so permanently (mainly due the charges!) and wondering if this makes a difference? Also, another question - would I, assuming I get everything back, have to put this back into this account (the one I am claiming charges for) or am I better off getting another account somewhere else and getting Hafilax to send me a cheque for all the pennies they owe me!?

Am dead sceptical at the moment, and convinced they will tell me to go away, however, having read lots of your experiences am determined to see it through.

Help, support and advice appreciated -

Huge thanks

Purps xx

I have a similar situation to yours. I am now a week away from filing in court for £2000. Be careful about the overdraft - I have just noticed that they have withdrawn my £500 overdraft today.

12-03-07 Halifax Received £1800

05-06-07 Halifax II Small Claim Served for £2503

Capital One - Won £768

Halifax Credit Card - Won £756

I have a similar situation to yours. I am now a week away from filing in court for £2000. Be careful about the overdraft - I have just noticed that they have withdrawn my £500 overdraft today.

You should have threatened to take your overdraft to another bank.

Leon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Have been reading avidly re claiming all these charges back, and have my SAR in at the moment for MY charges (21 days and counting....):wink:

However, my other half just happens to have all his statements going back forever, so have gone back through these for both accounts for the required 6 years, and have totals of just over £3500 and £1500 respectively. :eek:

Have just written the Prelim for the larger amount and attached the Schedule of Charges and about to send to Trinity Road. Just wondering if I should either

(a) combine both accounts and ask for one amount or

(b) deal with them separately?

Knowing how my brain works, I think I'd be better dealing with them separately then I know where i am with them, but any advice would be appreciated.

Also, on the second account, there are small charges of £5/month for about a year which relates to "authorised overdraft useage fee" - can we claim this? Seems odd that it's only there for a period of about 11 months and then doesn't appear again!!

All help, advice, support greatly appreciated - and huge thanks to everyone already, I don't think I';d have had the nerve to get on with this if you weren't all so helpful and friendly.......

Am proper nervous - will they give us our money back??!

Huge thanks

Purple Teddy Bear x

Hiya PurpleTeddyBear,

You are doing fine..;)

It is prob best to keep them seperate so you know what you are doing.

And YES you will get your money back. And if it gets to court you will be getting that little extra aswell..:D

• Haha 1

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Huge thanks SSL for the support and encouragement.

I know I'm jumping the gun with this, but once his part one and part two are done, I'm after them for mine....

And then the Hafliax cc; Captial One and GE Money....!!

Wish I'd found this sooner, but at least I have now

PTB

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update

DH received the standard "we'll deal with it in 8 weeks but if we need more information we'll be in touch within 4" letter yesterday, so of course he goes off on one wittering about "why do I have to wait another 8 weeks etc etc"....

So, knowing what I know now - calmed the whole situtation. Don't worry dear, the LBA goes next Wednesday as that's the 14 day deadline!!!

Hee hee.....I can almost smell victory!

Prelim for his Account #2 went on Monday jsut gone, so another 14 days and the LBA for that one will go too.

Am in the process of writing down what he needs to say when he gets the initial offer....:-D

Will keep you posted as to any developments.

PTB xx

:lol:, sounds like you have it all covered.

A woman on a mission...!!!

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Update on Bank Account ~1

LBA went today (I know, I know - a couple of days late....) but at least it's gone!

Just counting down the 14 days and then Court here we come (unless they buckle and an offer appears).

Bank Account ~ 2

LBA goes on Wednesday next week if nothing heard (apart from the standard "we might respond at some point this decade" we received on Friday last week)

My Bank Account

Still waiting for statements, but they have yet to hit the 40days, so jsut waiting armed and dangerous with highlighter!!

Ho hum....

PTB

• 2 weeks later...

Update again....

Hubby Accoun ~1 - LBA sent and 14 day deadline is Monday. Received standard (or seems like it anyway) letter from Leeds "sorry we haven't yet responded to your complaint...we will do, by the 18th May at the latest" yesterday. Silly people sent the same letter twice!

Crazy thing is, can't afford the £120 court fee, so we may have to wait for their deadline and see what happens. I really don't want to, but it's a case of not having the £120 easily available.

Hubby Account 2 - in process of getting ready to send LBA on this one, but again may have to start process again due to lack of pennies to take through court proceedings (but we would ahve the money if they didn't keep charging us stoopid amounts for stuff)

Me - SAR deadline was yesterday, and NOTHING! Any advice on this one?

Getting completely frustrated and disheartened by the whole thing, but absolutely determined to see it through!

PTB

Further update --

Have just spent 15 minutes on the 'phone to a lovely Irish man who was more than helpful in attempting to track down what's happened to my statements!

Poor love was passed to Trinity Road, then to Leeds, then back to Halifax, then to Leeds again and then finally....to the person sitting next to him!!!

In his words "I'll cut to the chase....saves a lot of hassle for you and me, I'll order all your statements now, refund the £10 postal order back into your account and there will be no further charge...and the statements will be with you by the end of next week!"

Hmm - I'll believe it when I see it, but it made a change to speak to someone willing (and to a certain extent able) to help!

PTB x

• 2 weeks later...

Another update -- not too sure how frustrating this is/isn't, but it's helping me to keep a track on things.....

Hubby ~1 - LBA deadline been and gone and nada from Halifax. As previous message, we can't afford the £120 Court fee (due to, guess what....bank charges), so are hanging fire and simply waiting. I KNOW we shouldn't but we have no option on this one.

Hubby ~ 2: waiting for Account 1 to get sorted, then we can get moving on Account 2 (at least we'll have the ££ for court then!)

Me ~ FINALLY received something from the Halifax yesterday re my SAR (sent at the beginning of March and chased 7 days ago).....not a bundle of statements as anticipated, but a list of charges for the period I asked for which totals £2000ish. Another £120 charges to be added next week when I'll send Prelim.

However, charges go from March 2001; can I claim March/April 2001 to date (May 2007) or do I have to go from May 2001.....charges for March/April come to £56, but I s'pose it's MY £56!!

Advice/support always appreciated

PTB x

ptb

as far as charges go, Bank Fodder (Mr Consumer Action Group!) says you can go back to the birth of your account - the 6 year thing is basically because thats all the info they HAVE to keep

go for all the charges, like you say they are yours

I have heard nothing from Halifax altho they have cashed my cheq:mad:

i feel a threatening letter coming on.........

Could be interesting if I went for everything from the birth of the account (eek...when I was a student!), but I didn't have the outgoings then that I do now I was a good girl!!

Am determined to fight this one...

PTB x

• 2 weeks later...

I could kick myself.....have been so pre-occupied with other stuff going on that I haven't had time to think.

Anyway, Hubby got the new standard letter this morning. You know, the "we think we've been fair and applied the charges correctly so you can go whistle for YOUR money..." letter. A photocopied letter at that (although was singed in blue so you have to look at it like a proper copty). Oh, and some bedtime reading in the form of a PHOTCOPY of their bank Charges leaflet....methinks they need to order some more stocks.

So, we now have to progress down the Court route but am unsure as to which route - N1 or MCOL? We still haven't got the £120 Court fee, but we have to find it from somewhere (and add on to the charges...)

Really should have dealt with this sooner, but I can only handle one major thing at once at the moment.

Am aiming to get LBA for His account 2 and my prelim for 1 off in the next 7/10 days.

Any support/advice appreciated

PTB xx

Me again

Went to collect N1 forms from local County Court on Friday afternoon (I was passing....) and lady behind the counter smiled at me and said "ooh, I sense another bank charges case coming....", apparently they haven't had all that many coming through, but she said "enough to keep people busy!". Not quite sure whether that's a good or bad thing to be honest!

Anyway, will scrape together the £120 fee from somewhere and will be filing either Friday this week (depending on funds) or the Friday after...can only do on a Friday as it's the only time one of us can get to court, and we want to pay cash to avoid any chance of a cheque bouncing and yet more charges!!!

So - N1 here we come. Am about to send my prelim for my account and LBA for his other account (even though we know what the outcome will be now, but guess we better follow protocol).

Fingers crossed that all goes according to plan once we have filed the N1. Just a question, if we manage to get it all sorted for this Friday, am guessing that it will be held up for a few days due to Bank Holiday? Should we wait until the Friday after the Bank Holiday? Apologies for sounding daft, but I am sooo scared....

Huge thanks

PTB xx

Yes if you file this week, there will bea delay because of bank holiday.

F&Q's... Read here

Thanks SSL...most helpful (as always!):)

We;re thinking of next week (as opposed to this...) at least then it's another payday with more chance of having enough ££ to pay the court and make sure some of our DDs don't fail.....

PTB X

• 2 weeks later...

Update re HUbby Claim #1:

As above, have received the "we think we're being fair and you're not getting any money back" letter; he is going to call them tonight and tell them he's not happy with that response and can the decision be reviewed please? Either that or we sent another letter similar to LBA (like an LBA Mark 2 I guess) giving them another 7 days to review the situation and then it's court (cos we can afford it in another week!)

And

A teeny victory to me --- albeit v small, but made me feel better! Had a charge put onto my account for a transfer to another bank account (different organisation) that I did online, after chcking my Hfax balance, making sure there was enought there etc etc. Gobsmacked to see I had een charged for unpaid item when the money was there when I transferred it! So -- rang the normal banking line and spoke to a person who almost admitted it was their fault (but not quite) and when I asked why the charge was there, she mumbled something about charges only being taken at the end of the day so what was showing on my online balance wasn't really there and so on and so forth. Anyway, upshot being that she was able to cancel the impending charge AND removed the charge that had been applied to the account the day before to stop the agreed payment going through. So, all in all, £78 up thank you v much HAlifax (well, really only £39 up I guess, but at least I won't have another £39 going out tomorrow). I am sooo glad I made that phone call!

Prelim for my account goes Friday....but I already have the LBA written!

PTB xx

I *will* sort this out.....

Update as at today -

Hubby Account ~ 1: He spoke to Customer Wotsits last week, stating he wasn't happy about the letter he received (charges are fair etc etc..) and he asked for it to be reviewed -- 10 seconds later, "that's fine sir, and expect to hear from us within the next 10 days with an offer...." Ooops, should the man have let that slip!? Anyway, we're ready with the N1 all filled in and ready to file next Friday (pay day) for when the offer doesn't materialise!

Hubby Account ~ 2: LBA off today, but again ready to file when they don't respond positively

Me - Preliminary letter off today....but LBA already drafted!

Should all be over and done with soon I hope.

PTB xx

:-|

Letter received in response to my prelim (sent 5 June) which is the standard "we think we;ve been fair in taking lots of your money from you unlawfully", and I know this is standard.

However, letter also states that they want to resolve the matter, and I should contact them so they can assist. My question is, do I send LBA (even though technically it's a week early as I gave them 14 days to reply and they replied within a week) OR do I telephone and ask for it to be referred?

Help!!!

Purpls xx