never shay die VS Halifax, should I take offer?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent my LBA on Monday 26th February. My claim is for £2230. I have been made an offer of £1549.

I was prepared to fill in the claim forms on Monday, the expiry date on the LBA. But in view of the pending OFT ruling on bank charges, and given the little spare time I have, I was going to take this offer instead.

But something occured to me. I have a £700 overdraft. If I accept the offer, then when the Halifax put the money into my account do you think they will immediately cancel my overdraft?

If they will, then I'm going to take it all the way. I'm preapred to accept that as I owe them money on the overdraft this will come off settlement, however if this happens I want the full amount.

Can I request settlement by way of cheque, so that I can pay it into the new account I opened before I started the process?

Or is it worth calling them and haggling? Their offer is approx £700 less than I claimed, which happens to be the overdraft amount?

Any advice please.

Hi --- try ringing the number at the top of your offer letter.

Say that you've got your papers ready for court, but wonder if they can come to a settlement before you go down that route. Point out to them the interest and court costs will be added to your claim. Stay calm and polite. This is your claim and your money. (Be prepared for a slap on the wrist as in "it costs money to run an account when items are returned". I stated at this point that I appreciated that fact, but that it didn't cost £39, and that the interest alone on my charges would more than cover any costs associated in running the account" ---- oooooooo don't know where I got that gem from!!!)

I was offered £1445, against what I was claiming of £2281. I telephoned at the end of the LBA deadline and they offered the full amount on the phone (I was prepared to haggle, but didn't need to.)

If you get your offer upped from £1549 to £2230 then thats almost the equivalent of the £700 overdraft anyway - so you've nothing to lose by asking. If they don't offer you the full amount, go ahead and claim through the courts, then you'll get your full amount plus 8%.

Best wishes --- keep us posted.

jaxads x

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Firstly, don't let the OFT cloud your judgement. That won't make any difference at all.

Personally, i would hang on and get the full amount. You have come this far and are at the winning post... don't fall off your horse now..

Jos

Called them, said the things you said jaxads. They offered me £2100. Didn't even have to haggle. I was expecting it to be difficult but it wasn't at all.

I said my speil, they said "Well, I can offer you £2000". I said no, because if I go to court it will be an extra £400 or so with interest which is still a substantial amount. She said to avoid me taking it to court she will offer me £2100.

I would have held out for the full amount but wasn't sure if I could afford losing the £120 it would have cost me to take them to court even for a short while. So I took it. Only £130 less than I claimed and, with my overdraft paid off, I'm still £1400 better off. Money will go into my account in the next 14 days.

I couldn't have done it without this site and will make a contribution when I recieve my money. Thanks everyone!

As soon as the money is into your account give yourself a big pat on the back and proceed with the victory dance.

Well done and enjoy the money:D

:DSUCCESSESS:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

:)CURRENT CLAIMS:)

HALIFAX03

19-SEPT-07 APPLICATION TO HAVE STAY LIFTED

02-OCT-07 APPLICATION REFUSED

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

WELL DONE :D:D:D

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!!!!!

jaxads xx

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek: