Grrrr .....

Janeyh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just seen on my statement that GrAbbey have charged me £35 for an unpaid DD.

On 10 April, a DD for £30.45 was "not paid due to insufficient funds" (shown as debit on by statement). On 11 April, I received a letter from the company owed the DD saying they could not collect (and charging me me £20) so I transferred £50 for when they re-applied which would cover the deficit with plenty to spare. On 14 April, Abbey charged £20 for an unauthorised OD (although I didn't go over then as they didn't pay it !) plus £30 for clearing a DD whilst overdrawn. I called them on 19 April and "as a gesture of goodwill..... blah, blah" they refunded the charges. Thought that was the end of the matter.

Then, on 15th May, my statement has an entry £35.00 charge for unpaid DD !! I called them this morning asking what this charge was for and they said it related to the incident in April when they did eventually pay the DD and could not refund this charge as they had already done this once this year! I asked why did they not just refuse the DD so that I wasn't charged by them and she said that, as a third party to the DD agreement and as it took me only £2.00 over my OD, they did this so as not to cause me embarassment by having a DD refused, a strange statement in itself because it's not as if the payee did not know my DD not been honoured 'cos they wrote to me about it.

I said "I'm sure you are aware of the current interest in bank charges and that I assume she realises they are unlawful" she said, "Yes of course but Abbey are transparent about their charges and I am aware that they apply them. She is sending me a leaflet with a reference number telling me how I can escalate my complaint if I am still unhappy. I said I already know how to do this and I hope she wasn't going to charge me another £35 to send me this letter. She said "of course not!".

The most annoying thing is I sent off my Preliminary Approach letter on Monday so this charge was not included in my request for repayment. Doh!

(edit)

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

The Consumer Action Group

Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.

If they offer a refund accept but tell them you want the newer charge refunded as well. If they won't carry on with the process and claim that as well...

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

When Abbey reject a direct debit, they apply the direct debit to your account (whether you have the funds or not) which takes you over the overdraft limit. THEN they bounce it. This means that as well as charging you £35 for rejecting the direct debit you get charged an additional £20 for going over the overdraft limit, despite the fact that they don't even pay the direct debit. This essentially means that for every rejected direct debit due to insufficient funds you are charged £35 minimum to a maximum of £55. Are they seriously trying to tell us that it costs them £55 for an automatic computer script??

Demand letter sent 28 Apr 06 for £1642

Fob off letter received from Abbey 11 May 06

LBA sent 12 May 06

• 11 months later...

In a word yes.

The facts are so against the banks that I cannot believe this has gone on so long...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

dont worry, you can keep adding charges right up until you file at court :-) Just put in your letters that you reserve the right to amend the total claimed

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

The Consumer Action Group

Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks