• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

jk v HSBC ###won!###

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok,, Think this is the right letter now...... please comment

I understand that you will now be representing HSBC Bank Plc in regards to my claim against them for unlawful bank charges.

Please find enclosed a schedule of those charges for you records amounting to a total claim of £7207.37including interest and court fees on the date of issue. Note that this claim is currently accumulating interest at a rate of £ 0.00022.x per day x total amount = £1.58 per day until judgment or the claim is settled from the date of issue which was the 6th March 2007.

In addition to this claim I am aware that HSBC intends to levy further unlawful charges against my account. Should these charges be made against me and this case go to court then I would ask the judge to take these into consideration. In the event of a settlement being offered I would also expect these further charges to be refunded.

good eve to you all.... Have been doing a little reading on MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge, Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more re the proposed oft announcement. According to "Martin" this is due either toward end of March or most prob April.. Has anyone else read this... ??

Not read it myself, there's some discussion about it in the 'general' section but it won't really change much other than possibly some banks will lower charges (but not to an acceptable level).

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

my thinking is - what dif could it possibly make - that would then be day 1 of the rest of our lives - what has gone before was still unlawful and would have to be dealt with - i can't see them saying - oh, ok we goofed and so we will gladly give you back the difference between what we charged you and £12 which would have been ok.

do they say to you - oh, the interest on your mortgage 4 years ago was a little unfair - let's give you back the difference or whatever - can't be done# what about the overdraft - what if a £12 charge woulnd't have put you over but a £30 charge did - and after months and months - they strong armed you into a managed loan because you kept going over - and now they've got you - you think they are going to go back and figure the difference with all it's implications? no way, jose! if the oft comes up with something (and that's a very big IF) and the banks abide by it (another big IF) that would be DAY 1. everything that has gone before is still fair game to be reclaimed - i'm 99.999999999999% sure of it.

You're right,, reading through it quickly it seems the banks are looking to charge around £12 to £15. This could mean the banks may start to put up a fight and perhaps only reimburse the difference between any oft ruling and future claims on past bank charges? Hope people will read this and put in their claims now!! More likely to get whole amount back if they do... Small worry....... surely at some point with this oft ruling faily imminent the banks will start to defend their case in court??

The OFT don't make the law. Full stop. The credit card OFT ruling has not made one bit of difference to the outcome of credit card claims and a bank ruling will do likewise. The principles of penalties being unlawful is established in law and it would take an awful lot more than the OFT to change that. The only way that a charge could be shown to be non-punitive is if a bank reveals the true extent of the costs a bounced cheque or failed DD incur, which they wont.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

Hey latty... god you're elequent? and prob so right....you've been on to this longer than me thats for sure... it is interesting though to read up on what will possibly happen but as you say What difference does it make... !! Glad you're on my side!!!:)

Wow.. really am glad you guys know your stuff advoc8.. Think I'll go learn more... can see myself really getting into this...thats saying something considering my obvious nerves and lack of knowledge :rolleyes:

Mcol status.. claim issued..... Have sent copies of statements to dg and 2 to mcol.. guess I'll give them a couple of days before ringing to confirm they have them (dg that is) Can someone just clarify is it 14 days they have before putting in their defence (expected)?

I spend so much time reading threads that I forget where I find the relevant info I need... Also I'm sure I read somewhere that I'm given a contact name at dg , is that the case?

hi jk

it's 28 days from the date 'deemed served'. the contact name from dg will appear on the notice of acknowledgement, page 2. you'll receive this in a couple of days

• Haha 1

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Thanks Netty, Keyboard went down,,, very frustrating couldn't get on line for a couple of days!!!!

Hi,,, Quick question... Am now starting process to claim back Hsbc credit card charges. The address is shown in Southend on sea.. Is this correct?

Want to send of sar , get ball rolling!

Hi, Received notice of issue and response pack from mcol.. Name at DG is Kate Eaves. They've x box that they intend to defend all of claim? When should I contact dg, haven't yet although sent schedule of claims through to them. Is there anything anyone can recommend to say when I do call apart from have they received schedule?

Also, would you believe, had a response from Colin Langdale same day as mcol info.. saying he refers to his letter dated 23 Feb (which I never received) and apologising for not yet having fully completed his investigations????? He goes on to say He'll contact me by 6th April and expects to be able to provide me with a full response at this time?? and finally thanking me for my patience??? derrrrr:-|

there's nothing more to say to dg other than have they received your breakdown of charges and will you be hearing soon - that's all

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Hi,,, Have been trying to ring dg for the last few days... no answer just and answer phone.. have left messages but as yet no response,, is this usual???

Thank goodness it is such a lovely day........ doggies having a great time frollicking in garden! Hope some of you are enjoying sunshine or are you as bad as me and spend hours on pc??

i think this is a result of claimants bombarding them with calls recently - that's partially why we've backed off - let them get on with it - if they have your schedule of charges - let them have time to do some work.

- or just leave a voice message and they will most likely ring you back.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,,, Can anybody help me... I entered my claim on mcol which was acknowleged by hsbc on the 8th March. today is the 28th day and I've not heard anything at all from dg or received an aq. I tried to press for judgement on mcol but it says that judgement cant be passed yet.... is this right? surely if 28 days have passed and no word judgement should be made??

Hi,, just rang mcol.. apparently hsbc have 5 days from the date of acknowlegemnt of the claim plus the 28 days.. so in reality they have 33 days to put in a defense.. what a pain, means I'll have to wait til monday to see what happens.. prob receive the aq by then... obviously dg are leaving everything til the last minute.. anybody else had this??

Leaving it to the last minute is normal. If a defence is submitted you probably won't get an AQ until a few days after that as the claim is automatically transferred to your local county court in anticipation of there being a trial. More waiting I'm afraid.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!