Can EDF force us to have a pre-payment meter?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Due to various financial/health/life problems we've fallen behind with our utility bills. We've tried to get fuel direct, but now EDF are saying we do not get enough income support to cover fuel direct.

We have just had a phonecall from a women at EDF saying that we have no option to have a prepayment meter, even though they have previously agreed that because I am disabled, my husband is my carer and we have a small child, a prepayment meter would not be appropriate.

She also felt the need to say my husband is not fulfilling his responsibilities in looking after me or our child, that because we get disability benefits we have more than enough money to cover the bills, despite any other commitments and the fact we have no transport and she couldn't tell us where we would be able to get credit for these meters.

The DSS however say the can consolidate aour benefit and can cover the fuel direct payments easily.

So-can EDF force us to have a prepayment meter - and why do they want to?

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

They want too as it is an easier option for them. I could advise you on a few things but do not want to cause you any more hardship as I do not know the severity of your situation regarding your health and finances. The best advise I can give is to go to the CAB. The advisor you spoke too has no right to judge your family or intentions of your finances. Please go to the CAB and let us know how you get on. Do this soon before a warrant is put out for the fitting of a prepay meter.

Quick update- the Dss say that because my incapacity benefit is in my name and the income support is in my husband's name they can't consolidate the benefits to allow the fuel direct payments to be covered.

So, we are now looking at stopping the income support in my husband's name and transfering/starting a new claim into my name. Therefore the benefits can be consolidated, and therefore cover the fuel direct payments.

A bit of lateral thinking... but because we get income support to the raise our income to the guaranteed level set for a disabled person's household in law.

I used to work in the civil service/dss area- part of the reason I became disabled oddly enough, but this was a few years ago now, so my knowledge is a bit rusty! So, we are all decamping to the local Jobcentre plus to try to get this sorted Monday morning.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 6 months later...