10 pound charge at the dentist and no appointment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My gf recently went to the dentist. ON her way as we live in a rural area she was stuck behind a tractor and a herd of sheep being moved from one field to another. She rang the dentist and said she may be late, the lady said ok-see you in a bit. She was 5 minutes late for the appointment. The lady on the counter said sorry you re too late and this will cost you a 10 pound charge as you re too late for the appointment. Nor did she have the appointment either as she was deemed "too late"

fleeced!

So is this a penalty charge then and does the same the rules apply as the banks?

I beleive this is the charging policy at the practice.

1290 back from the Halifax have it you scumbags

People like doctors and dentists do have an option to charge a 'cancellation fee' if the appointment isn't cancelled within a reasonable time - usually 24-hours notice. The general idea is that appointments cancelled on a whim cost the NHS millions, if not billions, a year. The penalty is intended to discourage this sort of frippery from time-wasters.

However, cancellation at short notice is not the same as being late. As your GF called in to say that she would be five minutes late, I don't think the practice can realistically uphold this charge, especially as the appointment 'window' would still have been open when she turned up.

I believe you have a good argument for a refund, and also a re-scheduled account. However, if the practice refers you to the local health trust, it is likely your complaint will be filed in the bin...

Give it a go, ask nicely, and you never know, you might meet a nice and helpful receptionist.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi! My hubby is in a similar situation, but the other way round. He turned up at his appointment only to be told the practice had double booked the appointment & so he would have to come back later in the month. There is a notice on the wall in the clinic and on the appointment cards stating that a cancellation fee may be charged if an appointment is broken or cancelled without 24 hours notice. We have written to the practice pointing out that they have indeed broken this clause and we therefore expect the £35 cancellation fee to be paid to us. Our letter has been acknowledged and we are now awaiting a full response. Dentists are quick to charge as in your gf's case so its time the boot was on the other foot!

Templehead - That's terrible, I'd definitely write to the dentist & also your local paper.

hunkydory - Big lol! Love it!

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Templehead - definately worth complaining, nicely of course.

Received letter today from dentist stating they would be making a £10 goodwill reduction off my husband's treatment because of their error, although this wasn't an admission of guilt.

£10 may not be much but if you don't ask you don't get, as my dear Gran used to say and besides, they won't make the same mistake with us in future!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

1290 back from the Halifax have it you scumbags

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks